Jerry F. Comeau, my instructor, mentor, friend and partner has passed away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Jerry F. Comeau, my instructor, mentor, friend, dive buddy and partner has passed away at the age of 85 after a long battle with illness.

I will miss you my friend. I am so sorry to see you go.

"He was a dear friend, colleague, comrade in all things diving, a maximum leader, SCUBA instructor par excellence, teaching legions of divers and he taught ME through NAUI. He lectured frequently on ocean
issues at Harvard, MIT, Suffolk and Northeastern University.

He was a United States Army gunnery Sergeant and let every one know it, a development engineer on the Apollo space program and one of the early certified SCUBA instructors in the US. He loved New England diving and pioneered presentations about it and dive safety."

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss . . . but it sounds as though he had a long, full life.

Jerry (along with Fred Calhoun) was my first scuba instructor back in1968. I'll never forget Jerry's favorite expression back then: "What's YOUR name?" Usually he said this when somebody messed up, but one night at the Wakefield YMCA, he asked me that question and then handed me my 1st "C card." He kept on teaching all these years, too.
Quite a guy! we will miss him.

The passing of things dear to us leaves a big hole in our lives......Look skyward from time to time and remember them....They'll know it and smile at you.......

Very sad to hear this news although I never met Jerry in person..........But back in either 2005 or 2006 we connected through UW photo interest. We emailed back and forth including diving in vintage gear and more.

My most recent email exchange was back in 2011 and I could tell he was battling lot of medical problems.........

He truly was on of the first scuba pioneers!

Best fishes Jerry :)

Sorry about your loss BurharnMuntassar, loss of a mentor has never been easy. May his soul rest in eternal peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom