Jenny, Mom & Hermit Crab tour of KSC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Met with Jenny, her mom and Hermit Crab...We had ad a great tour of Kenndy Space Center....Think Hermit Crab may fly in space on day? Maybe...but I think her forte is a tour guide. Dined with a lunar astronaut!

We will wait on on Jenny's trip report, she won't be back till late tomorrow...

I had a great time with Jenny, Mom & Hermit Crab (She's not really a hermit!)

Joe :fro:

excellent! sounds like everybody had a blast

cudachaser:
Dined with a lunar astronaut!

who who who???

(or is that whom? whom? whom??)

i'll take a guess: Gene Cernan

no no... wait.... John Young

cudachaser:
Met with Jenny, her mom and Hermit Crab...We had ad a great tour of Kenndy Space Center....Think Hermit Crab may fly in space on day? Maybe...but I think her forte is a tour guide. Dined with a lunar astronaut!

We will wait on on Jenny's trip report, she won't be back till late tomorrow...

I had a great time with Jenny, Mom & Hermit Crab (She's not really a hermit!)

Joe :fro:

Joe,
I glad to hear you were able to help out Jenny & family. I'm sure that was an experience to remember.

Al

Sounds like an excellent adventure! I took my wife up there for a launch and "breakfast with an astronaut" dealio - met John Fabian and Story Musgrave. She still talks about the unbelievable experience of it all. :)

Can't wait for the full details, sounds like ya'll had a blast

WOW! Joe, THANKS! THANKS THANKS!
You were an awesome guide, and I couldn't help but feel a bit priviledged as you explained stuff and other people were wondering how we got the personal tour guide!
We got there a bit late to Canaveral after a traffic jam of about 15 miles through lower Palm Beach-on the turnpike! UG. By the time we finally arrived and met Joe, it was lunch time. We listened to Al Worden from Apollo 15, which was the fourth manned lunar landing and the longest lunar visit.

After lunch we took off via bus (this week and next week are the two busiest times of the year at KSC, wear sneakers and be prepared to wait in line for everything) for a tour of the VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building), and eventually over to where a Saturn 5 Rocket is on display. Seeing the rocket garden in the beginning, I was surprised at how small the rockets were. I was expecting these big monsters, and seeing some of the earlier spaceships, one wonders how you could live 2 weeks with 2 others in the space of a Volkswagen beetle. Anyways, upon seeing the Saturn V, my eyes widened at the magnitude of this machine. Holy Cow! Awesome!

All along the way, Joe told us stories about pranks employees played on each other, daredevil stunts, and tidbits and glimpses of technology that we would never have known if Joe wasn't with us.

The replica of the Space Shuttle was pretty neat, as it was to scale.

Finally at the end of the day, KSC did one more viewing of one of the IMAX films. In one part, they showed the astronauts in the pool in Houston, wonder if we could dive that some day?? We finally parted ways, tired and happy.

Joe, my offer still stands, you have a couch anythime you are in the area, and I look forward to diving with ya soon! THANK YOU so much for guiding us.

The next day we took off for Merrit Island National Wildlife Refuge. We saw so many birds, did some hiking, and just enjoyed the overcast skies and sweet breeze, thankful that we weren't cooking under the Florida sun. We were looking for Roseate Spoonbills, a pink bird with an odd shaped bill. We were not disappointed when we started counting how many we saw-38 in total! Also, we saw so many alligators, egrets, herons, ibis, snowy egrets, and other birds that we needed our reference guide to identify them.

Great 2 day vacation. I look forward to going to Canaveral again.

awesome!

i had a blast when my wife and i visited there

Scuba_Jenny:
We listened to Al Worden from Apollo 15, which was the fourth manned lunar landing and the longest lunar visit.

dang... both my guesses were wrong

Sounds like you had fun Jenny, glad you got a couple of days off in your busy schedule!

One day i might get to go out there, its only round the corner - i have kayaked past the KSC/Cape Canaveral before and work in the area on a bunch of port projects, but never managed to make it to the touristy part.

Hey Jenny! Sounds like you had a fantastic adventure! BTW, I owe you a good birding venture.. Sanibel was nice, but if you can get over here about May we'll hit the Lovers Key area, LOTS of wading birds.. mebbe we'll have the canoe fixed and can toss that in the water for a tour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom