Jellys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So nice to see that he's finally making sense.

By the way, how's your sex life?

Oh well, maybe it's the food. What did you have for supper?

Now wasn't that great two year old fun? I know that I feel much better now<G>.

Thalassamania:
Cozumel is in the Caribbean, Box Jellies are listed, in several sources, as being cosmopolitan in the Caribbean, ipso facto Box Jellies are found in Cozumel.[Font size remedied to protect the innocent]
Your knowledge of aquatic taxonomy may be impressive, but your grasp of logic is not.

Thalassamania:
If, in light of the fact that C. alata's range is "the Caribbean" and the potent nature of its venom the OP chooses to take the risk on the say-so of a local instructor and Cozumel booster, that's fine.

The OP (me!) does choose to take the word of a "local instructor and Cozumel booster", thankyouverymuch!

I was diving in Cozumel one day when a fellow diver was stung multiple times by jellys - they got into his wet suit. They must have been so tiny they were virtually invisible because we did not actually see them - but then we were not actually looking for them.

They were probably juvenile box jellies. The stings were obvious and they were all over his trunk underneath his shorty, so either one, or a few, of the little creatures must have gotten inside and hurt him while trying to escape.

So, they are there - but you might never see them.

Patti

cos·mo·pol·i·tan (k&#335;z'm&#601;-p&#335;l'&#301;-tn)
pron.gif

adj.
  1. Pertinent or common to the whole world: an issue of cosmopolitan import.
  2. Having constituent elements from all over the world or from many different parts of the world: the ancient and cosmopolitan societies of Syria and Egypt.
  3. So sophisticated as to be at home in all parts of the world or conversant with many spheres of interest: a cosmopolitan traveler.
  4. Ecology. Growing or occurring in many parts of the world; widely distributed.
Its not just a magazine you know, or maybe you don't.

I'd suspect thimble jellies unless the stings were prominent rather them "rash like."

Back
Top Bottom