Jellys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GGUN, I agree with you:
In here we are all equals. For all I know, you could be everything you say you are and more, or you could be a homeless person with a stolen laptop sitting under a bridge on the fringe of some coffee shop's wireless network. You could be an acne faced kid pounding away on his dad's computer, or you could be a tenured university professor. (Feesh, is that you?) I've got no way of knowing, and I care even less.
You see the truth must be gleaned from the sum of each individual's posts, not a CV, that’s why I don’t post my CV here, it'd take away your wiggle room. Anyway, if you, "care even less," what’s this fuss about? Cleary you care very deeply, and that concerns me.

This all started because I posted a reference to a species I had observed in the Caribbean, that was described in another reference as cosmopolitan to wit:
The Sea Wasp (Carybdea alata), is found in the West Indies and Caribbean. It is a potentially dangerous jellyfish, especially to some individuals, although not as deadly poisonous as the Pacific Sea Wasp (Chironex fleckeri). It is reported off Cozumel, thought I've only seen it in the Bahamas.
You don’t like that and picked a fight. But guess what, all you’ve shown is that five (or is it six?) of you can’t take on an old geezer like me.

Christi: I gave you no condescension or attitude until you guys began the mugging and character assassination. I even apologized to you for my boosterism suspicions. Yet you see me as a bully because I answer lies and BS with artful use of the English language while a whole passel of you are trying to pound on me. A bully is a person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people. Now, I'm never cruel, especially to smaller or weaker people. I can, at times, be overbearing and its often said that I do not suffer fools gladly.

You see I don’t feel insulted. Amused, bemused, and possibly a little confused, but not insulted. But since some of your colleagues feel insulted, I must extend the olive branch and apologize for anything and everything that I said, or might have been thought to say, if it hurt anyone's feelings. I was just having a little fun and I truly did not mean to strike that close to home.

Thalassamania:

Thas, I was not attacking you...I am telling it as I see it. Yes, I know you apologized to me and I didn't say that you insulted me personally...I appreciate the apology. I was simply giving my take on why I think everyone is on your case in this thread.

Well that was strange...in the time it took me to write the above...Thas edited his post...anyway Thas...my point is that we all need to be a bit more respectful to each other, including you.

Nevis Diver:
Maybe that is what I got into on a night dive in March. We weren't very deep, maybe 45' and I saw wormy things and others in the water right before our ascent to the safety stop. While hovering at 15' with my light on, these buggers kind of swarmed around me...not actively swarming but they seemed to be everywhere. There were stings around my lips and on my hands....nothing that would leave a welt, more of an annoyance. I will say that I was glad to get my head above water because they were getting to be very annoying. Not sure what they were but given the choice I would rather not meet with them again ! :confused:

I'm pretty sure that those are shrimp of some kind; if it's what I've seen, they move way too fast to be jellies. The ones I've seen are reddish and swarm around lights. They don't bite but have a pointy front end that can jab you if they run into you, which they do me a lot when they are swarming around my light.

I have no need to be respectful to people who, unprovoked, say the sorts of things that were said. I appreciate your making amends, and I take them at face value. Just let it go.

The strangess was that I'd posted prematurely, so I deleted, fixed it off line and pasted it back in.

Thalassamania:
I have no need to be respectful to people who, unprovoked, say the sorts of things that were said. I appreciate your making amends, and I take them at face value. Just let it go.

The strangess was that I'd posted prematurely, so I deleted, fixed it off line and pasted it back in.

People who over-compensate as much as you do almost always have an insufficiency for which they are covering.

What is yours, Thal?

Thalassamania:
GGUN, ... You don’t like that and picked a fight. But guess what, all you’ve shown is that five (or is it six?) of you can’t take on an old geezer like me.

I started a fight? Wow, I was in a fight and didn't even know it. It must not have been much of a fight.

Whatever; I'll just let the record speak for itself.

yup, jus' take a skin and don't worry about it.

This thread has gotten way out of hand.

Or maybe not...it has gotten a lot of interest and replies.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that the OP asked about thermal protection/dive skin in Cozumel. You would not be unhappy in a 3mm full suit, or at least a skin. If you do 2 dives a day, by the end of the week you'll be so glad that you'll want to send me a bottle of tequila. PM me for my address.

One reminder to members who tend to be sarcastic in the physical world: No one can see your tongue in your cheek when you post to the board. It's something I have to remember every time I begin to type.................

Back
Top Bottom