Jellyfish stings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kingfish

New
Reaction score
It's Jellyfish season :fury: and before you say it? I was covered from head to toe. The little :devil: still got me across the face.

I don't suffer like some people, but it's more like a nettle sting for me, but lasts forever! I know vinegar helps, but does anyone know a better soothing aid to the little :devil:

Would appreciate any advice!

Sorry about your trouble, kingfish. The purpose of vinegar is to stablize any stinging cells still attached to your skin that have not yet fired. If you don't use it right away on surfacing it doesn't really do anything. I keep a small (few oz.) spray bottle of vinegar in my dive bag when I'm diving jellyfish infested waters. It supposedly helps prevent further injury, but doesn't treat the injury you've already sustained.

Once you've been stung, a steroid cream might help the symptoms. They're sold over-the-counter in the US, but I don't know about Qatar. More severe stings with generalized symptoms require prompt medical attention.

If you're going diving again in those waters, you might look into getting some Sea Safe "jellyfish safe sun block". It's a lotion that's said to help prevent jellyfish stings. Go to:

http://www.nidaria.com/

HTH,

Bill

There are numerous articles on other things as well as a good general one on stings and scrapes...

DAN Article

As a lifeguard back in the 70's, we'd wipe the area with guase and ammonia, I think it was, then we'd apply Nupricanal, or Preperation H. Worked great. Some swear by Adolph's meat tenderizer.

Back
Top Bottom