Jelly Identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott T

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I took this picture on Saturday. There were two of these at about 50 ft. This was the larger one at about 1 1/2" in diameter. I have looked for two days and can not find an identification for it. Maybe someone here can help. I am also including a picture that I think may be a baby Moon Jelly. It is about 1 1/4" diameter.
I would appreciate any help. I'm pretty new to diving but used to be into Marine Biology a bit so I'm trying to identify all the subjects of my pictures.

Thanks in advance,

Scott T

Attachments

• DSC09125.jpg
    DSC09125.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC09180.jpg
    DSC09180.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 59
Right you are. Cyclosalpa Affinis to be exact. Pretty cool stuff to read about. I just needed the right search words. Thanks for the information.

Scott T

Hi Scott,

I believe that the item on the right is a type of alge. I see them most often on the wrecks down in San Diego, the Yukon and Ruby E.

Yep, the first is Cyclosalpa affinis... see my newspaper column on them.

The second is a deep water red alga, Maripelta rotata, (see column). I usually see it well below 130 ft here.

Thanks everyone. And Dr. Bill, your timing couln't have been better. I was going to send you a note personally through a link on the Salp but realized that I don't have the pic on my work computer.
Thanks again for all the information.

Scott T

That's pretty cool. I can't believe how much my interest has been rekindled by everyones help. I took a Marine Biology class back in college but was discouraged from that path by the lack of "Real Jobs" in that category. The good thing is that I now have a "Real Job" which pays well enough and gives me enough time off to explore the depths at my leisure as a hobby which is very enjoyable.

Thanks again everyone,

Scott T

Back
Top Bottom