Jelly ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yup, that is correct.. higher speed and or smaller f-stop.. basically not allow the flash to light up the "Nothing" behind it..
If there were something behind it, it may or may not show depending on the camera/strobe's settings...
Hope that helps..

Ann Marie:
Sorry :eek:fftopic:

Great picture. Did you do something in photoshop to turn the background black? Would you let me know the steps? Thanks!

that picture, in particular, is defintely photoshopped. I can see the black outs of the silt that is around it.

It's easy to photoshop a black background, as long as the stuff in the background are not obvious. It's also easier if it was taken during a night dive too.

I assume you're talking about the main photo at the start of this thread....

I couldn't say one way or the other, but I do KNOW you can get the SAME affect in day light using the above settings.. you might have to touch it up, but usually not by much.
It's not easy "Photoshopping" jellies, anemones anything with a lot of jagged edges, at least not for me, so I wouldn't be surprise if it wasn't as "Photoshopped" as you might think. Certainly some contrast adjustments maybe, but not necessarily lifting the jelly and changing it from a light green background to a black one..

IMNSHO, that would take some time and effort....
Not saying it wasn't done with Photoshop, just saying you can get the same affect in daytime shooting with the camera settings just right..

To answer the Photoshop question... Yes, I touched up around the jelly to remove a bit of backscatter-- about 5 minutes of total effort. A little investigation of the image data at the bottom of the picture will show that it was taken at 12:40 PM (full light) and a shutter speed of 1/650. In this case, the combination of strobe power and shutter speed rendered the dark background at midday. If someone is able to get a similar shot in Puget Sound that does not require some degree of backscatter amelioration, I'd love to go diving with them to see how they did it!

Yeah Crab,
That's what I figured although shooting at 1/650.. whoa.. will have to give that one a try.. I usually pick it (black backtground) up at 1/250 or so...

Pointing the strobes straight out so the "cone edge" of the strobes just touch (light) the edge of the subject might help.. but as you well know, never gets it all.. so PS is really helpful, without getting into the discussion of how the "Old Boys" (self in cluded) did it with the enlarger machines... in PS I touch them up all the time.. a little speck here a little speck there, but as you also say, 5 minute max.. not lifting the whole background up and out... that'd be too much trouble.. easier just to take another shot.. and much more fun.. :))

Great shot.. I like'em those jellies and the lions manes especially... the colors are fantastic..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom