Jeepers, Can a guy get a break?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Wednesday night 19 Jan
The rain has stopped the sun is shining, temps are warm and they have lifted the rain advisory for LA and Orange county. But wait, several baches in Malibu are still showing signs posted on the LA County Health Dept website http://phps.dhs.co.la.ca.us/phcommon/public/eh/rechlth/ehrecocdata.cfm as all is not yet well there.

Then todays swell model is 4-6 feet with Wetsands forecasting better surfing Thursday, with chest high or better on west facing beaches. Then backing down a bit but early next week a new system comes in.

Long Point is currently showing 1.5 meters for wave heights http://cdip.ucsd.edu/models/lac/current.html so thats out.

From the cards I am currently looking at, this weekend will be poor visibility and Malibu is still going to be out due to bacteria and the hassel of getting there. Palos Verde looks like it may not be diveable and laguna is reporting poor vis.

Can a guy get a break? Where looks good to you guys?

San Clemente next month Feb. 12 th on the Rump Scratcher for some huntin with the guys from Pac. Wilderness is lookin better and better !!! :D
Oh, you meant this weekend. Lake Tahoe ? Sorry.

Sea ya
Jeff Gray

I had 15-25 feet vis on four dives last weekend off the West side of Palos Verdes, plus a zero vis dive off Santa Monica. The high surf is expected to subside by Friday morning, with moderate surf over the weekend. Not great, but sometimes I have been surprised by bottom conditions campared to topside. I'm scheduled for boat dives Saturday and Sunday, so I'll post reports of the excellent(I hope) conditions.

from what i understand, my surfer buddies are exicted for the weekend down here, which means im probably not.

pacific beach is reporting 6-8 ft surf with an occasional 10 footer. lets go diving... not

I'm looking at the Laguna webcam, and surf there looks pretty mild, though it's hard to judge exactly. The Surfline webcam for Torrance/Haggerty's shows some serious surf breaking at Malaga Cove:

http://www.surfline.com/surfline/livecams/getsurfmapsurfbreakreport.cfm?alias=torrancecam

The surf should be peaking this morning, and dropping substantially by Saturday according to Wetsand.

Laguna Sea Sports doesn't have a report for today yet, but yesterday viz was 8-10 ft., which isn't too bad.

My guess is that Laguna is going to be the hot spot for diving this weekend.

At 11am LSS reports small surf (only 1-3 ft.), with 8-10 ft. vizibility. By Saturday things should have calmed down nicely. In fact, the experts are predicting that this weekend the Laguna ocean will be "beckoning" us.

Pretty amazing watching the webcam of Haggerty's/Malaga Cove. Big waves breaking WAY out past the point.

I wish I was there. I'll be on the 13th boat to Catalina instead. Don't mess up the boat too much the night before! :p

So Cal Divin:
San Clemente next month Feb. 12 th on the Rump Scratcher for some huntin with the guys from Pac. Wilderness is lookin better and better !!! :D
Oh, you meant this weekend. Lake Tahoe ? Sorry.

Sea ya
Jeff Gray

Man, you're just teasing us now. Getting my hopes up for a weekend of diving (finally!) even though the swell model looks pretty rough.

I hope you're right. I could use a saltwater treatment...

- David

mccabejc:
At 11am LSS reports small surf (only 1-3 ft.), with 8-10 ft. vizibility. By Saturday things should have calmed down nicely. In fact, the experts are predicting that this weekend the Laguna ocean will be "beckoning" us.

Pretty amazing watching the webcam of Haggerty's/Malaga Cove. Big waves breaking WAY out past the point.

Back
Top Bottom