Jasper Reels by Ralph Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Positive: see above, also heavy (some people like the heft) and built like little tanks

Yes they are. This is exactly why I use one for open water drift diving when towing a flag. I'm not a cave diver but I love this reel for open water. I can easily attach a reef hook to it as well. Its heft and solid construction make it a great drift diving reel IMO. It is also really easy to resolve/clear any bird nesting or tangling.

I still have a few of these.

I am getting a new batch of these reels in later this week.

How much line capacity on each type of real?

300 on the primary
I think 150 on the cavern/safety
I'm not stocking the jump reels now.

Bumping this.

I got another batch today.

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

I don’t want to derail your thread, but this seems like a good place ask:

I’ve heard these referred to as Larry Green reels. You are referring to them as Jasper reels by Ralph Hood. Does anyone know the history of the name?

ETA: I thought I would add *something* relevant to the thread…. I really like these reels. It’s a little easier to get them tangled compared to a sidewinder, but a *lot* easier to clear. That’s a trade I’m willing to make. And they’re a better shape for a pocket. I tend to use a Slidelock for my primary, but LG/RH reels for jumps.

Larry Green used to buy these from Ralph and then put his logo decal on them.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom