Jasper Reels by Ralph Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
If anyone wants any of these reels PM me. I have a few brand new ones.

Reels.jpg

I have a new shipment in. I have 3 primaries and one safety left from this shipment.

Is the point of the large gap between the spool and handle to make it easier to untangle if the line jumps off the spool?

I have 5 Ralph Hood reels with the handle on them. Free to a good home.

I will take them.

Just got another shipment of these reels in yesterday.

More Reels arrived!! Primary Reels $125, Safety Reels $80, Jump Reels $75.

Reels.jpg

Reels1.jpg

Have never seen these reels before but love the look of them. How do they compare to most other primary reels on the market? Any major differences or improvements?

Is the point of the large gap between the spool and handle to make it easier to untangle if the line jumps off the spool?
Yes, compared to something where the handle and the spool are tight to one another (light monkey/halcyon etc) - some are tight enough or the line large enough to avoid that jam. The Ralph hood takes the other approach and makes the gap large enough to put your fingers in and remove line that jumps the spool on the handle side.
Have never seen these reels before but love the look of them. How do they compare to most other primary reels on the market? Any major differences or improvements?
Positive: see above, also heavy (some people like the heft) and built like little tanks
Negative: Heavy with a metal to metal connection between the boltsnap and the handle. You can remove the boltsnap and drill a hole there for a double ender. But the double ender lays a little awkwardly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom