Japanese Whaling Ship Catches Fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetRookie:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Title
Japanese Whaling Ship Catches Fire

Respose by RAWLS:

Good!

-----------------------

Response by Fishb0y:

Glad you're happy someone died

------------------------

I am tired of this guy being miss quoted from the very beginning of this post and have to speak out. See page 1 of this thread. Rawls ws not happy that someone had died. Read his quote, he was happy that the whaling ship caught fire.

Fishboy, from what I read, you have misinterpretid him.

I don't think Rawls or anyone here wants to see anyone die from this situation.

Thank you
Mike......while you might possibly be right in your assessment it was still a pretty thoughtless comment. This ship on fire is a big deal, it could easily turn into a major ecological disaster in a very fragile eco-system. Leaving the missing crewman aside for a second, anyone genuinely concerned about the environment shouldn't be very happy about this at all.

Unfortunately, for whatever personal reasons and viewpoints, this seems to have escaped a few people posting in this thread.

You are right Kim. Even Greenpeace was not happy with the burning ship

Environmental group Greenpeace, which has a ship the Esperenza in the Ross Sea area about 700 km (435 miles) from the stricken vessel, said the burning ship posed a danger to Antarctic wildlife.

"Of course our first concern is for the crew. But it is a very special environment and ... I think everybody knows it's one of the last near-pristine environments," the group's John Bowler said.

"Any fire can cause serious damage, depending on what happens, leaks from the fuel or just as a result of the fire fighting equipment."

Kim, I agree with you also. While I'm gald a whaling ship has been put out of commission, I also don't want to see and eco disaster.

My beef mainly was just that throughout this thread there were those that we saying that some writer(s) were happy that someone had died but I do not see this in reading through the posts. It looked like it started on page 1 and then people ran with it. As I said before, I don't think anyone here wants to see someone die in regards to this incident nor have I read it.

TheWetRookie:
Kim, I agree with you also. While I'm gald a whaling ship has been put out of commission, I also don't want to see and eco disaster.

My beef mainly was just that throughout this thread there were those that we saying that some writer(s) were happy that someone had died but I do not see this in reading through the posts. It looked like it started on page 1 and then people ran with it. As I said before, I don't think anyone here wants to see someone die in regards to this incident nor have I read it.

I would encourage you to read em' all again. Some people were pretty clear aboot it... unless their posts got deleted.

I'm not sying this is my position, but I have always felt that the classics have much to teach us:

"Dante: All right, so even if independent contractors are working on the Death Star, why are you uneasy with its destruction?
Randal: All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed- casualties of a war they had nothing to do with. (notices Dante's confusion) All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia-this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.
(The Blue-Collar Man (Thomas Burke) joins them.)
Blue-Collar Man: Excuse me. I don't mean to interrupt, but what were you talking about?
Randal: The ending of Return of the Jedi.
Dante: My friend is trying to convince me that any contractors working on the uncompleted Death Star were innocent victims when the space station was destroyed by the rebels.
Blue-Collar Man: Well, I'm a contractor myself. I'm a roofer... (digs into pocket and produces business card) Dunn and Reddy Home Improvements. And speaking as a roofer, I can say that a roofer's personal politics come heavily into play when choosing jobs.
Randal: Like when?
Blue-Collar Man: Three months ago I was offered a job up in the hills. A beautiful house with tons of property. It was a simple reshingling job, but I was told that if it was finished within a day, my price would be doubled. Then I realized whose house it was.
Dante: Whose house was it?
Blue-Collar Man: Dominick Bambino's.
Randal: "Babyface" Bambino? The gangster?
Blue-Collar Man: The same. The money was right, but the risk was too big. I knew who he was, and based on that, I passed the job on to a friend of mine.
Dante: Based on personal politics.
Blue-Collar Man: Right. And that week, the Foresci family put a hit on Babyface's house. My friend was shot and killed. He wasn't even finished shingling.
Randal: No way!
Blue-Collar Man: (paying for coffee) I'm alive because I knew there were risks involved taking on that particular client. My friend wasn't so lucky. (pauses to reflect) You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... (taps his heart) not his wallet."

I find it extremely cooincidental that Sea Shephard, a terrorist organization, is in the area, and now a whaling ship (which was previously rammed and damaged by Sea Shephard) has caught fire.

Whoa there ReefGuy...way too much misinformation and political spin.

Sea Shepherd is not a terrorist organization. It is a non-profit conservation society that conducts missions of research, education, and policing according the United Nations World Charter for Nature and international laws that protect marine life and ecosystems.

From their Mission Statement:

Sea Shepherd's mission is to conserve and protect the world's marine wilderness eco-systems and marine wildlife species. We accomplish these goals through public education, investigation, documentation and, where appropriate and where legal authority exists under international law or under agreement with national governments, enforcement of violations of the international treaties, laws and conventions designed to protect the oceans.

They are bold and very confrontational, using aggressive tactics to halt activities that threaten marine life and violate international laws, but they absolutely do not seek to harm human beings nor use fear tactics to accomplish their goals. In fact, their tactics are usually obstructionist, much like Greenpeace, except Sea Shepherd will usually gun the throttle to get in the way of a whaler/poacher/ne'er-do-well whereas Greenpeace will typically take a more passive role.

Sea Shepherd's methods of policing may be distasteful to some, but they are no more a terrorist organization than the Girl Scouts of America. I may not like the incessant door knocking of those cookie pushers, but at least they mean well and accomplish their benevolent goals without hurting anyone (well, the cookies aren't too good for you, but It's not like I suspect them of a conspiracy...er, wait a minute...nah, forget it).

Sadamune

Sadamune:
They are bold and very confrontational, using aggressive tactics to halt activities that threaten marine life and violate international laws, but they absolutely do not seek to harm human beings nor use fear tactics to accomplish their goals. In fact, their tactics are usually obstructionist, much like Greenpeace, except Sea Shepherd will usually gun the throttle to get in the way of a whaler/poacher/ne'er-do-well whereas Greenpeace will typically take a more passive role.

Sea Shepherd's methods of policing may be distasteful to some, but they are no more a terrorist organization than the Girl Scouts of America. I may not like the incessant door knocking of those cookie pushers, but at least they mean well and accomplish their benevolent goals without hurting anyone (well, the cookies aren't too good for you, but It's not like I suspect them of a conspiracy...er, wait a minute...nah, forget it).

Sadamune

Many (including myself) will tell you that in those two paragraphs you have contradicted yourself.

Back
Top Bottom