Japanese tourist missing in Crystal Bay (Bali)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad news.

Anyone know which company they were diving with?

Condolences to friends and family.

I'm diving in Tulamben right now and have heard rumors about this. Apparently the group was from Tulamben, went on a trip to Crystal Bay for Mola-mola. I was diving in CB the morning before this accident but since the currents were strong we stayed close to the reef and didn't go deeper than 21m. Here I heard that she was a diveguide herself, so apparently not inexperienced, but that's just unconfirmed rumor.
Such a tragedy :(

Sad news indeed and condolensces go out to all involved. Too many of these stories there. I am diving np/nl in last week sept with my gf, who is already nervous re the diving there. Excuse my ignorance, but What is it a CB that claims do many lives- is it always down to diver error or is the dive site that dangerous? Is it downcurrents at a drop off? I have had nasty downcurrents in Palau but as you move away from the wall they eased up, but that was as u head into the blue. I guess in a channel there is no escape?

I'm diving in Tulamben right now and have heard rumors about this. Apparently the group was from Tulamben, went on a trip to Crystal Bay for Mola-mola. I was diving in CB the morning before this accident but since the currents were strong we stayed close to the reef and didn't go deeper than 21m. Here I heard that she was a diveguide herself, so apparently not inexperienced, but that's just unconfirmed rumor.
Such a tragedy :(

The op is based in Tulamben, it was a special trip leaving from Padang Bai.

I was on site yesterday and actually met the group of divers underwater before one gone missing ...

Crystal Bay was not so busy (about 20 boats @ 12PM ... already too much for such a small area but busy means > 30 boats here) but honestly from the surface you could imagine it would not be a quite dive : lot of surge outside the bay & a number of eddies in the channel between Penida & Ceningan.

We jumped, get to the drop-off and looked for any Mola a few seconds. Lots of banner fish but no mola in sight. Already a group of approximately 10 people was staying here.

As I'm not a big fan of waiting for the molas in the drop-off (memories are much better when you meet the Mola by chance instead of just waiting for it like in a zoo ...) specialy with strong currents when you have to touch & damage the coral to stay in place however carefull you try to be) we quickly get back to the plateau & drifted back to the more protected areas near the bay.

Current was not so strong when I left the drop-off. Some guides met after the dive told me it got very strong. That's on my way to the bay that I met a big group of divers (15+) getting the other way, to the drop-off.

After surfacing I heard about the missing diver and search began quickly.

From my experience, what I can say is :
* 14 guests for 3 guides is not a conservative ratio in Crystal Bay ;
* Staying in the corner to wait for the Mola to come up is not only stupid (spoiling the encounter) but environmentaly unfriendly.
In addition, It can get quickly dangerous here : this is precisely where accidents happen every single year. The danger get even bigger when you have 20+ divers trying to stay in place in such a small area. There is just not enought space for more than 10 people to stay here. Period.
* Accidents will happen again here untill CB is regulated and enforced.

Just got back from night dive at Liberty wreck. The news at the dive centre are they have found her body at around 56m. My deepest condolences to her family and friends. Something should be done because situations like this can be prevented.

Very very sad news, but unfortunately those situations happen every year...

Can anybody confirm this tragedy? This morning I saw 2 S&R boats leaving from Padang Bai.

The op is based in Tulamben, it was a special trip leaving from Padang Bai.

Do you know the name of the dive operator and dive boats involved?

I see the press report says that SAR could not commence a rescue straight away because of bad weather, yet the divers were able to remain on station to search. Bad weather was also the excuse for lack of SAR action last month, although it has been suggested to me that the real reason may be more ... ahem... financial.

Not that SAR could have helped here, sadly.

Not that SAR could have helped here, sadly.

Update on this was posted in my local scuba forum. Divers body had been recovered.

" The body of a Japanese diver who went missing on Sunday during a dive in the Crystal bay area of Nusa Penida was found by search and rescue teams at around 6pm yesterday.

Thirty-four year-old Ai Tanaka failed to surface after a dive last Sunday, prompting a large scale search and rescue effort by a joint team from Karangasem, Klungkung, and Denpasar.

The victim was found not far from the original dive site by crew from the dive operator Dive MM. “She was found at Crystal Bay at a depth of 43 meters,” said Putu Sudiana, head of Denpasar Basarnas last night. “Her BCD (Buoyancy Compensator Device) was intact. She’s still a beginner and maybe panicked,” explained Sudiana.

Once evacuated from the sea, the body of the victim was immediately taken to Sanglah General Hospital in Denpasar.

Initial reports suggest that Ms. Tanaka was suddenly swept away by a heavy current, and being a novice diver was unable to stay on course.

Sources: http://beatmag.com/daily/latest-news/missing-diver-found-dead-off-nusa-penida.html

Kompas: Turis Jepang Ditemukan Tewas di Kedalaman 43 Meter

Detik News: WN Jepang yang Hilang Saat Diving di Bali Ditemukan Tewas"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom