Japanese open fire on Sea Shepherd crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anti-peta-billboard.jpg

Did anyone remember that today, 15 March, is
International Eat an Animal for PETA Day?
Toss yourself a nice Caesar salad and grill a steak.
Preferably not whale, however. :D

Sorry I missed it but Saskatoon is my hometown! I live in Asia now though.

...of playing bump with a 321 foot long icebreaker. They don't break easily and are designed to crush anything that comes up against them. When a military vessel orders you to stand off and you don't, the burden of responsibility for any unpleasantness that results sits on your shoulders.

From the Toronto Star:

...an RCMP tactical squad boarded and seized the Farley Mowat, owned by a militant conservation group, and arrested its captain and chief officer.

The charges were related to a confrontation in the Gulf of St. Lawrence between the Farley Mowat and a coast guard icebreaker two weeks ago.

"The Farley Mowat and crew were asked on numerous occasions to cease and desist their activities," he said, adding that on March 30 it came within six metres of sealing vessels and later that day collided with a coast guard ship.

If convicted, the men face fines of up to $99,400 and one year in prison.

A photo of the Canadian Coast Guard vessel, the Des Groseilliers, that the Farley Mowat was playing footsie with:

300px-Brise_glace_des_groseillers.jpg

Congrats Hearn, you've just dealt the killing blow to your own industry. Now the EU ban on seal products is practically inevitable. Kidnapping Europeans illegally will not be looked kindly upon. The Farley Mowat was outside the 12-mile territorial limit and while it was within the 200-mile Exclusive Economic Zone, it's a non-commercial vessel (a yacht to be precise) undergoing non-commercial activity. I must commend both the Sea Shepherd crew for being so brave and Loyola Hearn for being such an idiot. Both factors were instrumental in this victory.

Now the EU ban on seal products is practically inevitable.
Despite numerous attempts, this hasn't happened so far. It's a complex situation, to be sure, involving a wide range of environmental, agricultural, and national political issues. My guess is that the repeated failure of various anti-seal products issues has as more to do with a rejection of the tactics used by the anti-seal groups than the policies they are advocating. The anti-seal cause, like the anti-whale cause, would be better served so many of the high-visibility proponents weren't so gleefully posing as thugs and generally acting in such a repulsive manner. At any rate, my belief is that the actions of the Farley Mowat crew will actually serve to damage their cause in the minds of many people.

Currently, one of the EU Environmental Commissioners (there is one for every member state) has indicated he will propose "to ban imports of all seal products resulting from culls where animals suffer." I'll wager that, if introduced, this proposal will also fail. Let's check back in a year and see. Loser has to eat crow, or crowfu, as philosophical requirements dictate.

:wink:

Zingtea, how do you know the SS ship was in International waters? Frankly, I don't believe much of what Mr. Watson has to say...
It doesn't really matter whether or not the Sea Shephard crowd was within the 12 mile limit or just within the EEZ.

The UN Convention on the Law of the Sea applies....
Article73

Enforcement of laws and regulations of the coastal State

1. The coastal State may, in the exercise of its sovereign rights to explore, exploit, conserve and manage the living resources in the exclusive economic zone, take such measures, including boarding, inspection, arrest and judicial proceedings, as may be necessary to ensure compliance with the laws and regulations adopted by it in conformity with this Convention.

2. Arrested vessels and their crews shall be promptly released upon the posting of reasonable bond or other security.

3. Coastal State penalties for violations of fisheries laws and regulations in the exclusive economic zone may not include imprisonment, in the absence of agreements to the contrary by the States concerned, or any other form of corporal punishment.

4. In cases of arrest or detention of foreign vessels the coastal State shall promptly notify the flag State, through appropriate channels, of the action taken and of any penalties subsequently imposed.
I'm sure Canada will properly notify the Netherlands or whatever flag the Sea Shephard ship was flying. Arrest of both the vessel and crew is allowed, as is holding them until appropriate bond or security is arranged. Imprisonment is not allowed. Flogging also appears to be prohibited. :D

yeah Thanks Charlie. Always good to read people who actually know what they're talking aboot :)

Funny. Watson said he got shot in Japan, that his crew had to lie down under weapon menace in Canada, that he landed in Bosnia under sniper fire and had to run with his head down... uh, wait, the last one was from another liar :wink:

It's brilliant news.....Go Canada!!!

After trying to damage and boarding the Nishin Maru a couple of months ago now he's whining about someone boarding him? :rofl3:

Give me a break!

I hope they throw them in jail and sell the boat.

edit: Just read Charlie's quote....they can't throw them in jail.....pity.

After trying to damage and boarding the Nishin Maru a couple of months ago now he's whining about someone boarding him? :rofl3:

Give me a break!

I hope they throw them in jail and sell the boat.

edit: Just read Charlie's quote....they can't throw them in jail.....pity.
Any links? I've never heard of Sea Shepherd boarding the Nisshin Maru in particular. And regarding the arrests of the Farley Mowat crew, there are no grounds for sentencing them seeing as the Farley Mowat is a foreign-registered ship that was in international waters, undergoing no commercial or illegal activity whatsoever.
It's brilliant news.....Go Canada!!!
Like many people with limited knowledge of the issue, you forget that the anti-sealing movement is a Canadian movement founded in Canada by Canadians. Loyola Hearn only represents the interests of the sealers of Newfoundland, not the nation of Canada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom