January 25-28th; where to go in HI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for your input. We've decided on Hawaii over Florida (since I plan to go there later this year); now it is just deciding on the island!
My vote would be Maui. We have been there at all times of year including January and the weather in South Maui like others have said is predictably good. Just go diving early and you should have no or very litle surf or swells to deal with. Getting up early is not a problem because you are 2 hours behind California in the winter so your body wants to be up around 5 if you usually get up at 7. We just got back after 2 weeks and had 12 great dives. 6 boat and 6 shore. Pro diver, Mike severns, or Ed Robinsons for boat dives (do at least 1 or 2 to go to Molokini). Maui dreams in Kehei for tank, flag, and weight rentals (very inexpensive) 2 of my 6 shore dives were at the same spot the dive boats were doing there 2nd dive. Just dropped our flag and took a heading toward the boats. All the boats leave around 6 for their 2 tank dives to be back before the tradewinds pickup in the late morning. Have fun

We will be staying at the Waikaloah Hilton and diving with Jack's Diving Locker, a great operation, from January 14, 2010 to January 24, 2010. I am also concerned about the diving conditions around Kona in January. Any advice?
Diving conditions in January can vary from year to year. Some years it's great every day, some years it's crummy several days of the month. I've never seen it bad all month, odds are decent it'll be fine while you are here. If not, the diving conditions usually are churned up from storms up to thousands of miles away and the weather's still wonderful in Kona... enjoy it.

My vote would be Maui.

All the boats leave around 6 for their 2 tank dives to be back before the tradewinds pickup in the late morning. Have fun

Good vote.

Some clarifications here; most Molokini dive charters leave out of the Kihei Small Boat Ramp. B&B's web site lists a 5:45 AM check-in, so if every diver checks in by 6 they are the only boat that could really leave "around 6." Prodiver, Mike Severns and Scuba Shack "meet" at 6 AM, with Prodiver in the water vs in the parking lot for the other two, so Prodiver could leave before 6:30 but the other two probably don't. Ed Robinson and Makena Coast do parking lot check in at 6:30. Dive & Sea checks in at 7:30. So I think most Kihei Molokini dive boats leave between 6 and 7.

IMHO, the reason for the early Kihei departures is to facilitate a second charter in the high seasons before the trades are too strong. Especially in the winter, I do not like the early departures; a deep first dive before 7 AM means there is no real light for ambient photography and every diver needs to bring a dive light to check out the little critters. I actually prefer the high season for Molokini, 'cause the second charters have enough light to appreciate the great vis and get great ambient photo's!

Maui Dive Shop does morning Molokini diving out of Maalaea Harbor on Monday, Thursday and Friday. A couple interesting notes about their web site; Thursday/Friday Turtle Town is listed as the second dive, Monday the St. Anthony is listed as the first dive. A really funny note about the Monday St. Anthony/Molokini web page; a picture of one of the Oahu wrecks with an Atlantis Submarine in the background is shown. :shakehead:

Lahaina Divers goes to Molokini Crater from Lahaina Harbor on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, with check-in at 7 AM. Wednesday is shown as 2 Molokini Backside dives, same check-in time.

Last edited:
There are also many dive sites off West Maui, including Lanai (with friendly spinner dolphin). I will let one of the west siders chime in if they so chose. :)

This is very funny to me; resurecting a thread that "ended" over 21 months ago means that I now get to be the "west sider" I humbly defered to with regards to boat diving out of Lahaina. :rofl3:

Lanai is the primary dive destination for most West Side dive charters. First Cathedral and Second Cathedral are the signature dives off Lanai. There are many other dive sites off Lanai; Shark Fin and Lighthouse are past the southwest point, and working back towards Maui, Mempachi, Secret Cove, No Name/Paradise, Monolith, Wash Rock, Knob Hill, Fish Rock, Sergeant Major and Sergeant Minor to name most of the common sites.

Lanai trips leave 7-8 AM.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom