Jan. or Feb. on Maui, best location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hoping to dive as much as humanly possible. Which area of Maui should I be looking at for lodging? Any suggestions are appreciated. Hubby & I have never been to Hawaii.

No idea on which dive sites.

Max Depth 130'

:palmtree: :bfish: :love: :bfish: :palmtree:

Kihei is a decent value and I'd look at www.vrbo.com for places to stay. If there isn't a storm the backwall of Molokini is always diveable.

I'd second the Kihei bit... there's plenty of shore diving available within a 1/2 hr drive from there.

Check out Maui Dreams Dive Co. (http://www.mauidreamsdiveco.com/) for your tanks, weights and other rentals... they also provide great advice on dive sites.

Kehei and Wailea are good choices for where to stay, as are Lahaina, Kaanapali, and Kahana. Typically Kaanapali is the most expensive place to stay as the beach is lined with big resorts/timeshares, but it does have the advantage of lots of places to eat within walking distance so you don't have to drive everywhere. You don't really want to go any further than Kahana, as the weather can be dicey in Kapalua (near the Ritz).

For diving options, go to Ed Robinson's website and check out his links to all the ops on Maui that have websites. It's a great place to read and do some research on what many of your options are.

We stay in Kahana or Kaanapali when we're there (we own a timeshare), and typically dive with Lahaina Divers in Lahaina, or go down to Ed Robinsons and/or Mike Severns when we want to dive out of Kehei. Accessing Molokini is better out of Kehei, but going to Lanai is much better out of Lahaina.

If you are looking at shore diving, then either Kihei or Napili (north of Lahaina) are within easy reach of lots of shore dives as well as reasonably priced condos. In Napili there are decent dive sites right off the shore of many of the resorts, in Kihei the same is true, but the divesites are by the expensive resorts (Wailea area)

Aloha, Tim

This is exactly the type of information I was hoping for.

Oh, yeah. Cute dog, KIDSPOT!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom