Jan 11th Dive.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see that White Point is going to be protected all week (i.e. little to no surf or swell). That is THE place to dive on super high tides, imo (with the exception of probably OML, which I want to go out with one of the experienced OML divers for my first time).

Made a dive at White Point on a +7 foot tide and it was by far the easiest shore entry I've ever made (and that's saying a lot, cause I dive Vet's!). But with the lack of stairs to climb, access is simple. With the high tide (and right entry point....thanks John!), you pretty much walk in on one of the big rocks, drop off that into waist-high water, and kick out.

I've been kind of obsessed with White Point recently and have made a good number of dives out there....but have never explored to the west, so I'd kinda like to do that. Maybe if you guys wanna give WP a try, we could do that.

But anyways....on super high tide, it's nice to do rocky entry sites that suck otherwise because it makes it much more manageable. So I'm in for a rocky entry or a nice sandy entry....doesn't really matter.

So what is the very easiest, simplest, let's stroll into the water entry? During my Rescue class a couple of years ago we entered Corona del Mar and it has been flat and when I had to do my rescue there we 6 footers. At least I got a real life experience with tough rescues...I now only like very easy entries. Wimp that I have become.

I was actually thinking of White Pt, but would the large movement of water before and after high tide muck it up? I'd be willing to try, high tides kinda early, 7 something so if we did White I would think we wanna be entering by peak high.

Posted via Mobile Device

Nick I was thinking the same thing. Im up to try white point last dive there was awesome. I think we would want to hit slack tide when there is the least amount of movement. So with that said I think we should meet up Just before Peak High Tide so we can be in during High tide. Im looking at the tide table and it looks like its about 8:45. So how bout we meet at 8am??

Hmm I thought I saw 7 something for high tide on wetsand, I'll double check later
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm seeing +7.33 feet at 8:35am on Sunday. There's a good hour that we could definitely be making easy entries and exits. If we shoot to get in around 8am and out by 9:30am (obviously we don't have to make an hour and a half dive, but I wouldn't be against it if we did!), we shouldn't have any problems.

We dove this site about a month ago when we had the "closest full moon" or whatever....the tidal swings were ridiculously huge and we didn't have any issues with vis. It was definitely in the 20-30 foot range. I think White Point doesn't get hit as hard with vis issues due to the structure, but that's just a guess on my part.

Sounds good to me. So how about we meet up about 7:30 am and in the water by 8 - 8:15 and out by 9:15????

Sounds ok, but, anyone know if they fixed the parking payment thingies? I HATE having to pay like 7 bucks to park a couple hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't know last time we did not have to pay because no one was around......

On December 13th, the machine near the entry was working. We paid $2 as we got in before 9am....got our ticket thing and could have theoretically stayed until it closed :D

But from one of the locals we talked to....the machines are hit or miss and if you're in and out before 9am, they never check. Don't know how much I would like to trust that, but if the machines aren't working, we don't pay....if they are working, we do.

Back
Top Bottom