Jan. 10th dive Hot Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skierch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Lake lanier Looney Birds'

Planning a trip to the Hot Hole Jan. 10th - Trip 30.00 dollar with OFF THE WALL Charters- Have question E-mail or cell - Need min. 6 divers for the trip-
Clif

Hot Hole--This site is in 40 feet of water and is supplied with warm water by the Oconee Nuclear Station. The warm water is the return flow from the cooling system of the power plant. The dive site is approximately 20 acres of cove that has a constant current that eddies around to allow for a very unique drift dive. These waters offer the very best conditions for fish to spawn in the spring and stay warm all winter. Local fishing clubs will not permit their members to fish in this area because it is considered un-sportsmanlike. There being too many fish in the concentrated area. Fish life varies from schools of thousands of Shad to Brim and Large Mouth Bass. The bot tom is swept of silt and is covered with rocks and sand. There are underwater rip-rap slopes that line the channel and offer relief above the bottom. The center of the current can offer a challenge to a diver but the edges of the cove will amaze you with the life and a gentle current. This area is perfect for people who like their diving warm and full of aquatic life.
Lake Keowee - outside of the Town Walhalla, S.C.
Call me @ 404-213-8557

Question everyone that I know that have dove it say that the viz is 8 -10 feet. Is that true?
Whats the best and worse viz you have seen there?

The first time there the viz was 15' and the second time it was 3'.

I will definitely be there, especially considering I have already paid to go.

Dive Yesterday 1-10-10 at the Hot Hole went well with Off-the-Wall Charters. Water temp was an average of 62-63 degrees. Visibility ranged from 8-15 ft depending on the current. 2-tank excursion and no-one became chilled.

Dive Yesterday 1-10-10 at the Hot Hole went well with Off-the-Wall Charters. Water temp was an average of 62-63 degrees. Visibility ranged from 8-15 ft depending on the current. 2-tank excursion and no-one became chilled.

It was great to dive with you guys. Thanks for having me along. Sorry I didn't get to hang out with you at Fire House, but I had family issues to attend too.

I was chilled for about 30 seconds.:D That was I when I popped up to far from the ladder.:rofl3: It was a cold swim to the ladder and climbing up on the boat. Once on the heated boat I was steaming! (literally)

Dive 1:

40' for 60 mins.
Viz was 10'+
water temp was 61-67 degrees
boat temp was 65
Outside air was in the high 20's-low 30's

I played in the discharge current a few times and then went chasing some nice fish. Saw at least three 6-8 lb bass. Several small 1-2 pounders. There were many small bream and chased at least two cats that were hiding under the boulders.

After an surf interval of 1:11 mins

Dive 2:

29' for 43 mins
viz 10'+
water temp was 61-73 degrees
boat temp was 72 (I think, I got to close to the heater):D
Outside air temp was 36(back at the truck)

Hung out with my buddy and his camera. It was kind of fun chasing after several fish. I know we saw a few small bass, a couple bream, and another cat. Hopefully his video turned out good. (Wish we would have seen the big fish when he had his camera!)

I think half the boat dove wet and the other half went dry.:D I was secretly wishing the dry guys would get a small leak or would really get the urge to pee bad. (I was jealous!):mooner:

Again, it was fun! I hope to see you guys out at Lanier or somewhere soon.

Back
Top Bottom