Jamaica?????? Storm Damage????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Heading to Jamaica next week for an 8 day dive trip with my husband. Wondering if anyone has heard about visibility, reef damage etc. from the recent Hurricanes and Tropical Storms???? Thanks

Hello, I was just in Jamaica, Ocho Rios in fact on a cruise, we dove in Coz. but not in Jamacia, ( Wish i had), The water appeared very clear,no storm damage that I could see, The locals said they had mostly rain and it had been on the other side, Where are you going to?

Thanks for the good news!! We are actually staying at a resort in Ochos Rios, but are planning on doing diving all around Island. So locals said the other side from Ochos had more damage? What did you think of COZ, its OK, hoping some of the reefs around Jamaica are better. Thanks again for the info....:)

Thanks for the good news!! We are actually staying at a resort in Ochos Rios, but are planning on doing diving all around Island. So locals said the other side from Ochos had more damage? What did you think of COZ, its OK, hoping some of the reefs around Jamaica are better. Thanks again for the info....:)

Jamaica is not considered a dive destination for a reason. I love it, but it aint for the diving.

Shelly Ripley, how was your diving trip to jamacia? I am heading down there soon and was wondering too. I have already heard it aint the best in the caribbean but that will be OK too.

I'm going to Negril in two weeks w/ my wife. I'm not expecting awesome diving, but it's still diving! Beats <60 degree water temps here in Wisconsin right now! Have booked a couple dives w/ Sundivers Negril - can't wait!!

I was there in August right after Hurricane Fay went thru. I had a very nice time diving and a very, very very, nice time on the surface intervals.:) My initial report after I got back is here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-divers/250015-ocean-sure-beats-quarry.html

What did you do on your surface intervals? I was told the island isnt a tame place off the resort property. "Go with an army" was the exact quote about making it up to the mountains for some sightseeing.

What did you do on your surface intervals? I was told the island isnt a tame place off the resort property. "Go with an army" was the exact quote about making it up to the mountains for some sightseeing.

We stayed in the Negril area on the West side of the island and had no problems. Other than a trip to Rick's to watch the jumpers, we didn't do any "touristy" things. What I enjoyed was the beaches, the all inclusive resort (pricy but well worth it) and the natural beauty we encountered. When out of the resort and forcefully asked if we wanted to buy ganja, rolexes, or the sellers little sister, I found a firm "no thank you" worked well. As with any trip to foreign shores, if you present yourself as a nervous tourist type, you'll be treated as such.

Back
Top Bottom