jamaica in june

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
I bet the am dives were rushed? Then its back to the dock to do a cattle boat run of snorkelers from the cruise ships.

Actually, Whitehouse is quite a ways removed from where the cruise ships dock. It's on the other side of the island from OR.

Thanks everybody for all the great info. As a very new person to this hobby/sport I'm very greatfull for a web site like this one
We are currently looking at other places on the island and maybe not even stay there at all after reading the other posts.
Thanks to everyone
Mark

If you want to Dive Dive Dive you are going to the wrong place. If you want to chill at a nice resort and catch a few dives if the mood hits you then you are ok. There are better choice out there for diving.

BurBunny:
Actually, Whitehouse is quite a ways removed from where the cruise ships dock. It's on the other side of the island from OR.

I dont think you would be staying at OR and diving at Whitehouse, the drive would be at least 3+ hours

studog:
Hi everyone I'm new to diving and plan on taking my OW in may at Table rock lake MO.
The wife and I are thinking of going to Jamaica in June and will be staying at one of the sandals resorts can anybody give me some info on the temps that time of year?? and if sandals is a good place to go for a diver ??
any feedback will be great

Hey studog, congrats on becoming certified :).

I think you'll find on this and many other boards mixed experiences when it comes to all inclusive resorts in general and Sandals in particular when it comes to diving.
Generally they cater to the beginner or very occasional resort diver as your diving skills and experience progress you might find yourself hampered by the restrictive profiles, time limits, rushed experience, et cetera.

Anyway if you will be visiting a Sandals here, i'd suggest Negril or Montego Bay.
One weird thing about their location in Montego Bay is that it's right beside the runway at the airport there.
Sandals whitehouse is on the south coast, different sort of vibe there, more laid back, different geography, less developed et cetera.

As to the dives on that side, can't really say haven't been to Westmoreland much.
What you will find on the south coast is that it doesn't get as deeply as it does on the north coast, i.e. gently sloping as opposed to shallow then very deep as it is on the north coast.
There's a lot of varied diving that the island offers, it's just that most tourists end up on a very narrow stretch of the island and think that's all their is to offer.

Anyway as to dive sites in Negril and Mobay you can check out my thread here, pics, listings of sites, dive profiles that you'll do there etc.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=94128
Trip report that I wrote on another board - http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=3168

Regards.

Hey Studog, are you going through Aqua Sports? I may be right there with ya. I rec'd scuba lessons from husband for Christmas, & we're also planning a trip in June.

Looking forward to Tablerock...brrrrrrr

Perrier:
Hey Studog, are you going through Aqua Sports? I may be right there with ya. I rec'd scuba lessons from husband for Christmas, & we're also planning a trip in June.

Looking forward to Tablerock...brrrrrrr

My wife and I are going thru Tom's dive shop out of moberly it sounds like it's gonna be a cold there.

We dove in Negril numerous time. It's more of a relaxation time with some diving than a strictly dive vacation. The all-inclusives with diving included are the way to go. It's not the Caymans diving, but a very good time with a lot to see.

Back
Top Bottom