jamaica in june

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

studog

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone I'm new to diving and plan on taking my OW in may at Table rock lake MO.
The wife and I are thinking of going to Jamaica in June and will be staying at one of the sandals resorts can anybody give me some info on the temps that time of year?? and if sandals is a good place to go for a diver ??
any feedback will be great

Depends a bit on which Sandals you're going to. Ocho Rios (which includes Dunns River) and Montego Bay options aren't as good dive-wise as Negril or Whitehouse. And none of them would rate with the Sandals on St. Lucia. But as long as you're not planning on this being a dive-focused vacation, but more of a terrific all-inclusive with a bit of diving as a bonus, this can be a good option.

Temps in June will likely be right around 80ish. Possibly slightly warmer. Though this winter's temps are a couple degrees above average, so could be more like 82.

thanks for the reply
We are thinking of going to Ocho Rios but are always changing our minds

I dive the Negril area every June. Temps are very consistent at 84-85F from surface to 100fsw. Vis is 80ft+ unless you get major rains and the runoff causes floater in the water.

If you want reliable diving I'd suggest Negril over Ocho. The north side of the island is the rough water and windy side. Diving and sailboating frequently get cancelled on the north coast. Negril is on the west end, less windy and less exposed to rough water. It is very unusual for diving to be cancelled due to weather.

I will be at Hedonism II the week of June 9-17 or so. If you choose Sandals Negril at that time, just waive hello when you pass the Hedo nude beach! LOL!

I stayed at Sandals Negril in Oct. Had a great time and loved the resort. The staff at the dive shop were very friendly and helpful. Make sure you go directly to the dive shop when you arrive so you can dive the next day. They allow two dives a day except on the days you arrive or depart. The shallow dives are not much to mention. They take the resort cert. divers there and everything is in pretty bad shape. On one of the “deep dives” we went to an area called Shark Reef that was worth seeing. The best piece of advice I can give you is to take your own equipment if at all possible. I used theirs and had faulty equipment on almost each dive. One dive I had a leaking spg. On another, the bcd would not remain buckled if a small amount of air were added to it. I also caught a cold from one of their regs. The equipment is not well cared for but the D/M does a great job below the water. They allow roughly :30 BT. Not great but it is all included so you cannot complain too much.

Welcome to the board.

From what I know and have read above, if this is a dive vacation and not a vacation with a dive or 2 thown in, you may want to consider another island that is more dive oriented.

Stayed at Whitehouse on my honeymoon in may of '05. We enjoyed the diving, warm water w/ great viz, and nice and calm seas(the only way to go :wink: ). The thing I noticed was they had lots of coral and fish. Didn't see much else, but we are newbies and enjoyed it anyway. Wish they had an afternoon dive (they only had two morning dives). Hope this helps.

shtepity:
Stayed at Whitehouse on my honeymoon in may of '05. We enjoyed the diving, warm water w/ great viz, and nice and calm seas(the only way to go :wink: ). The thing I noticed was they had lots of coral and fish. Didn't see much else, but we are newbies and enjoyed it anyway. Wish they had an afternoon dive (they only had two morning dives). Hope this helps.

I bet the am dives were rushed? Then its back to the dock to do a cattle boat run of snorkelers from the cruise ships.

studog:
Hi everyone I'm new to diving and plan on taking my OW in may at Table rock lake MO.
The wife and I are thinking of going to Jamaica in June and will be staying at one of the sandals resorts can anybody give me some info on the temps that time of year?? and if sandals is a good place to go for a diver ??
any feedback will be great

You undoubtedly be doing other tours, one to avoid is the Appleton distillery, YS falls and Black river tour. Unless you want to spend 12 hours traveling in cramped mini bus with a 40 min stop at each place =14 hours and only given lunch.
If you do Duns river falls get there early (taxi) it opens at 8am. Later you will get hundreds of people from the cruise ships.
The bus Ride to OR from the airport will take 2-3 hours.

Back
Top Bottom