Jamaica Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonesdoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have never dove in Jamaica and hear the water temp is going to be 79-81 degrees. Normally I would dive with a 3 mm. Has anyone been there the fist week of March and is a long sleeve rash guard and are trunks OK or should i go with a 3mm?

Sounds like the 3mm suit should be fine. I'd take a hood too, in case you got cool.

We just got back from diving Negril. I dive a Bare Velocity 5/4; my wife dives a Henderson 3. I was perfectly comfortable, although would vent some water down my neck every now and then, and she had no complaints.

how do we judge what temperatures you can tolerate? If you search "[name], Jamaica water temperature" (what area are you going to - Kingston, Ocho Rios, Negril, etc.? it makes a difference too), you can find a timeline/trend graph that is real-time around the time you are due to travel. You know what you can handle. I wouldn't ask anyone but yourself what exposure protection you need......

A month or so ago I was in Negril with 85 degree water. Jammers, a dry-fit shirt, and a bandana for me... however, there was another person in a skin, one in a shorty, and another in even more.... some were even wearing hoods....

I second the comment about knowing your own tolerance. But, I was in Negril end of March last year and wore a short sleeve rash guard and trucks and was still more than warm enough. If I remember correctly, without checking my log, temps at 20 m (66 feet) were still mid 20's C (so 75-85 F ish)
On of the DM's on my trip wore a 3 mm shorty, one a 3 mm full suit but both were locals. I think the only tourist I saw wearing a suit was a small woman who easily got cold. But for comparison...I dive in Canada and grew up lifeguarding in water temps in the 50's with no suit or maybe a 3 mm on really cold or high jelly fish days.

I agree with the sentiment of knowing your own tolerance. With that in mind just remember a couple of things:
1. You can always flood some water into your suit to cool down, but once you get cold you can't really warm up while on a dive.
2. Cold is a factor of time. What may work for 1 or 2 dives over a few days will become woefully insufficient on a multiple day/dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom