Jacques Cousteau - The Blue Hole of Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EnronX

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everybody, we returned recently from Belize and experienced the amazing experience that is the Blue Hole. Now that I'm back state-side I have been infatuated with the story and reading everything I can get my hands on. I heard from a fellow diver that Jacques Cousteau actually did a documentary on the Hole, using his small submarines.
I've searched Amazon and Ebay and have been unable to find the exact DVD series that would include the Blue Hole footage.

Does anybody have any experience with Cousteau's programs, are they even available? Here is what I found on National Geographic:

Thanks so much!

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...D=2901&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=Cousteau

I'm not familar with that episode, however in one of his recently released episodes the team went into a vent of Clipperton, a French atoll off of Mexico. I recall they were descending into some kind of acid bath... :D

I have experience working with them on their TV documentaries, but not the Blue Hole episode.

The legend is that Jacques Yves "discovered" the Blue Hole, or at least was the first to dive it. Although I've done dozens of dives within a few miles of it, I've never dived it.

Would be interesting to return to some of the earlier episodes just to assess them with respect to current standards and dive experience.

MoonWrasse:
I'm not familar with that episode, however in one of his recently released episodes the team went into a vent of Clipperton, a French atoll off of Mexico. I recall they were descending into some kind of acid bath... :D
It was a sink hole in a land locked lagoon. The water near the bottom had high concentrations of Hydrogen sulfide due to decaying plant matter and basically caused burning and muscous production on all the exposed bits. I'd have called the dive a lot sooner than they did.

I have the full set of national geographic magazines on CD and I am pretty sure they have an article on Cousteau and the blue hole.

DA Aquamaster:
It was a sink hole in a land locked lagoon. The water near the bottom had high concentrations of Hydrogen sulfide due to decaying plant matter and basically caused burning and muscous production on all the exposed bits. I'd have called the dive a lot sooner than they did.

I have the full set of national geographic magazines on CD and I am pretty sure they have an article on Cousteau and the blue hole.
Personally I'd have called the dive at the surface, I'm sure the smell would've been nasty.
Start up a BBQ and grill up some of those crabs :D

Its a sinkhole in the ocean. A very deep, veritcal shaft. Over time wave & tidal action has cleared out most of the overhaning rock, leaving a circular "hole" in the ocean floor.

So, isn't there a rumor / truth...??? that Jacques Cousteau used dynamite to blast as passage for his ship into the blue hole? Does anybody have any hard facts on that story?

Back
Top Bottom