Jacket vs back inflate for new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. I cruise along perfectly level and have had no issues with surface swims out (some say that's tough with a BP/W).
That's something I don't understand either. I typically swim on the surface on my back. So much easier. Don't most people do this? Unless you have to avoid kelp, I don't see the point of swimming face down.

Or just take the rig off and hold it in front of you like a raft or paddle board.

Or just take the rig off and hold it in front of you like a raft or paddle board.
I don't think sitting on my scuba kit and using a fin as an oar to be very efficient.

I don't think sitting on my scuba kit and using a fin as an oar to be very efficient.
You tidy it up and hold it in front of you. Either full outstretched arm with you in trail behind it or put your hands toward the front and your elbows on it closer to you and putter behind it with head and shoulders out of the water able to look around easily at landmarks on land.

Or lay your chest fully on it. Basically the same as on your back, except with you, but not the rig, rotated face down.

You tidy it up and hold it in front of you. Either full outstretched arm with you in trail behind it or put your hands toward the front and your elbows on it closer to you and putter behind it with head and shoulders out of the water able to look around easily at landmarks on land.

Or lay your chest fully on it. Basically the same as on your back, except with you, but not the rig, rotated face down.
I've never tried that but honestly I don't see why I would prefer it to swimming back first. My wing is only partially inflated, it's not cumbersome at all. If someone is over weighted and needs a fully inflated wing maybe that could be problematic.

I don't see this choice as being between "technical" diving and otherwise. I don't even see how a BW setup is more technical than a jacket or other BC; I see it as a comfort issue. Get that inflation bladder out of the way and you will be more comfortable. Go to a BW now and it will be the norm for you and you will get the advantages right away. If you are properly weighted you will love it and it will work great for you. Go for the BW wing now! I have been diving since we used no BC, then horsecollars, then jacket and now BW and I would never go back.

I've never tried that but honestly I don't see why I would prefer it to swimming back first.
If you are trying to navigate around kelp it is easier to see your landmarks. Seeing around you without pausing to pop up higher is the big bonus. If you put it fully ahead of you it can also allow you to move more efficiently. And you can switch between fully ahead of you and being partially raised up very efficiently. Just an option.

You are always looking where you are going, so it is easier to check you are still pointed the right way. Or if you are not in a rush, you can prop up more on your elbows and enjoy the scenery around as you leisurely work out to the dive site.

If you are trying to navigate around kelp it is easier to see your landmarks.
That's a problem for a small percentage of divers. Swimming on my back is so much more comfortable. In my area, I've never seen anyone swimming on the surface face down with a snorkel except for those doing a surface swim as part of their open water course. Most people just fin on their backs, stop, turn around to make sure they are headed in the right direction, and continue.

stop, turn around to make sure they are headed in the right direction, and continue
This is the key difference. At the cost of slipping out of and into your rig.

No snorkel required, unless you want it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom