Jacket or back-inflation bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgo

Reaction score
First of all, "Hi" to you, as I'm new to the forum.
My question is probably one that has been tossed around here many times, but here goes:
I've got 150 dives on me with an Oceanic Probe bcd. I now live in Indonesia, meaning the dives I've done so far have been in warm waters (25 degrees C or warmer).
For the last two months, I've been weighing the question of getting a back-inflation bcd, and have simply not been able to make up my mind. After going through web reviews (both from companies and users), I think I'm still missing the advantages offered by back inflation.
I've gone to a local seaquest dealership (the best of the small number of dive shops operating in Jakarta) and tried out the Black Diamond model, and I see how the back-inflation bc may restrict the chest area less than my current Probe. Yet, I still don't think I have a clear enough picture in my head about other differences.
So...Is this issue just a matter of style? Or is there an actual advantage in performance given by the back-inflation bcd? I may be moving back to the US soon, and will continue diving. Is a back-inflation bcd better suited to cold-water diving than jacket models like the Probe?
I've read phrases like "it sets you free" and so on in reviews of back-inflation bcds, but could someone offer a more concrete description of that experience?
Thanks much.
PS One of my problems here is that not many divers I meet in Indonesia dive with back-inflation bcds, and so far, I've not found a dive operator who can offer in-water tryouts.

I can see no advantage of a back inflate or wing BC over a vest BC.

It is a good idea to get a BC with no padding or cummerbund for streamlining, but the come that way in both back inflate and vest.

There are lots of differences but the degree of advantage you realize is likely to differ depending on what other equipment you use.

A back inflate or wing puts the buyancy closer to the tank. In many cases that's where a significant portion of the weight is so having the buoyancy there gives the greatest stability.The wing will, especially when deflated wrap around the tank making it vertually non existant.

If you look at some wing designs like the Halcyon or the Oxycheck you'll also see that the wing puts some buoyancy lower. That helps to offset the fact that a jacket usually puts all the buoyancy above where the weight is worn. Therefore the more you inflate the bc the greater these apposing forces are (the bc on the upper boddy pushing up and the weight below that pulling down). A bp further contributes to have the weight and the buoyancy in the same place.

I don't find that a jacket (or any bc really) does a very good job of stabalizing the tank on the back. For this I use a plain harness which when adjusted right fits perfectly and doesn't introduce any drag like a jacket which can act kind of like a parachute.

Then there's the other equipment you might carry. I dive with a canister light and it sits on my right hip with the wing behind and out of the way. I'm not sure how you'd do that with a jacket. I put backup lights on my shoulder d-rings and bungie them down flat so they sit under my arms. Quick releases get in the way of that and a jacket gives few options other than a pocket.

I dive a Zeagle Escape and will never go back to a jacket unless something very drastic happens! Here are a few things I have noticed about back inflate v. jacket: More natural swimming position (face down), you forget about the bladder because there is ZERO squeeze, much less clutter=more d rings for all of those gadgets, and you look cool! You have probobly heard horror stories about them floating you face down and all of that crap, most of that is from people who 1) have never used a BI BC, or 2) from someone who didn't know how to use it properly. to avoid being floated face down on the surface do not over inflate the bladder, and if you have trim pockets in the back USE THEM! Also it is much more comfortable to make surface swims on your back. It will take you a few dives to get used to the bc as it did me but I feel as if I made the correct choice in my purchase...although now I kind of want a BP!

Good Luck!

I prefer a back inflate BC/wing for the streamlining, trim, and lack of squeeze issues mentioned above.

I second the thoughts of the floats you face forward on the surface issue. On most back inflates this will only occur with improper weight location combined with full inflation of the wing. And it's important to remember, it's a BC, not a life jacket.

I think it is much easier to acheive proper swimming positon in the water with a back inflate and surface swims are a snap either face down with a snorkel or on your back which is really very comfortable and makes it easier to kick efficiently.

The only thing you can do in a jacket that you cannot do as well or better in most back inflates is a hover in the budda position, and no one does that outside of a pool.

"I don't find that a jacket (or any bc really) does a very good job of stabalizing the tank on the back."

The days of diving without a BC are long gone (except when odd balls like me dive vintage), so diving without a BC is not really an option for the vast majority of divers.

Jacket squeeze is what pushed me over the edge. Inflating a jacket and not being able to breath freely was a big problem for me. Newer jackets are better here but not good. I have never had a problem with floating face down. with weights well arranged and most of the weight (the tank) even further aft, just not a problem.

do take the time to arrange weights for good trim.

When I got my C-card i went out and bought a back inflated BC. It took me a couple of dives to get used to it but I never used a jacket since.

The bottom line is that both designs have pros and cons and it case that you are a rec diver, both will do just fine. The back inflation has some advantages when used in technical diving.

The best advice is probably to try a nimber of BCDs and go with the one that feels the most comfortable.

Ari

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom