Jacket BCDs, BP/W and bouyancy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No at all what you implied in your previous post.

Come on, Tobin, you're not seriously going to debate me by nit-picking your way through this, are you? You'll need real arguments. I said a BP/W is generally negative. BP/W includes the BP. Everyone can see that except you. For some reason you saw a need to argue that the wing was neutrally buoyant and then act like I had said something that I did not. I know this is your debating style but I'm not in the mood, mate.

I've never suggested otherwise

Good, then we can agree that not all jackets are created equally and to take the worst example you can find is not a good base line by which to judge the rest.

So you are going to treat your "huge allergy" by providing mis information about BP&W's ?

I'm not providing any misinformation about BP/W. I've been quite clear that I dive with both and I like them both for different reasons.

I've been addressing the traditional misinformation that gets into all the these threads by people who have a belief that all jackets are basically useless. Deal with it.

Have you see this little illustration about how paradigm forming in a group dynamic works? (see below)

This is what has happened on internet forums with respect to the jacket/bp-w discussion. Forums are prone to "group think" (ie. paradigm forming) about things and some of those paradigms, like in the case in point right here, are based upon misinformation. All the BP/W monkeys get aggressive when challenged to define what's REALLY wrong with a jacket based upon facts. A lot of people on the forum don't even really know why they don't like jackets (even people who have seldom, if ever, dived in one). They just know they should because all of the other monkeys tell them that they should.

I like bananas and I'm not afraid to say it. Go ahead and continue to try making it look like there's something wrong with what I'm saying if you must but it says more about you than it does about me, and it says NOTHING about BCD's.

kdu77.jpg

R..

Considering I'm not saying jacket bcds are better than a bp/w, only that I've found a proper fitting one works great for me I see no need to test anything else and report back to the internet. I've already found something comfortable for me, which is what matters.

And like I pointed out in a thread I started which was specifically about how to inspect a used axiom BCD but that immediately turned into an evangelical session for bp/w proponents... when my diving prowess reaches a level where I feel limited by a jacket I can always switch to the correct way of diving then, and buy a bp/w.

Well, you certainly seem to have an opinion about dive gear you've never used, something that Diver0001 was complaining about earlier in this thread, presumably about BP/W proponents who have not used them. I guess your feelings were hurt in your other thread and you seem to have some resentment about the whole issue. Thus the sarcasm.

Like I said earlier, you should try one, and then form an opinion based on actual experience.

Come on, Tobin, you're not seriously going to debate me by nit-picking your way through this, are you? You'll need real arguments. I said a BP/W is generally negative. BP/W includes the BP. Everyone can see that except you. For some reason you saw a need to argue that the wing was neutrally buoyant and then act like I had said something that I did not. I know this is your debating style but I'm not in the mood, mate.

R..

Genetically he has to nit pick and do his best to make BP/W appear better than JBCD's in all cases, he makes a living out of it!!!

Well, you certainly seem to have an opinion about dive gear you've never used...

Really?

Could you tell me what my opinion of bp/w's is then?

Because I've simple stated that I found a jacket that fits me and I like and pointed out how important it is to have well fitted comfortable gear, whatever that means for the individual.

Just more proof of the weird pervasive attitude bp/w proponents have... someone saying they've found a jacket they like is somehow an opinion on bp/ws....

:shakehead:

The reason I'm cutting against the grain here has to do with the huge allergy I have to the way these discussions are waged on the internet.

Please. I'm not the guy that admitted to having an "allergy" that needs treatment.

I'd challenge anybody to find where I have mis lead anybody about jacket BC vs BP&W's

Fortunately BP&W's don't require constant repetition of questionable marketing claims, they generally sell themselves. The idea of having to sell something that did not offer genuine solutions to my customers is repelling.

I'm a designer and engineer, not a marketing guy.

Tobin

Rob, I think we probably agree more than disagree on the BP vs jacket issue. But, there were several points in your comments that prompted some additional thoughts.
It is true, however, that a BP/W is generally negatively buoyant because of the metal backplate. This can make a difference to your total need for ballast weights. If this is really a big issue then you can also deal with ballast weight by changing the tank type. Aluminium cylinders are considerably more positive than steel cylinders, for example. In fact, your choice of tanks (and suit) will affect your stability in the water a lot more than your choice of BCD.
I fully agree, that cylinders are both an additional way of addressing ballast, and a factor is stability. In the context of the OP's original post (jacket vs BP), and his statement about traveling to Bonaire (where he probably won't be carrying steel cylinders if he travels by air, and where he probably won't easily find some for rent), I focused instead on the BCD issue. And, I usually use HP steels (100s) when diving locally (with a jacket or a BP) or travelling by car. I find that bigger steels (e.g. HP130s), and even HP120s to a certain extent, adversely affect my longitudinal stability in the water - I tend to rotate a bit (around the sagittal axis), as the weight of the cylinder seeks its natural position below the center of lift. So, I spend a bit more time in station keeping (finning) than I do with smaller steels or aluminums. But, the primary comment was about ballast. The issue, for me, is simple - why would I willingly choose to use a BCD that causes me to add even more ballast, to compensate for its inherent 'floatiness', when I already have to add ballast to compensate for my own inherent 'floatiness', and the inherent 'floatiness' of my exposure suit (irrespective of what suit I am using), etc. I learned this lesson years ago when diving a drysuit with my Zeagle Ranger and an aluminum cylinder. I had to add so much lead that I actually damaged the material in the BCD weight pockets (which Zeagle repaired years later, at no charge). That experience led me to my first steel cylinder, and then to my first steel backplate. The net difference (reduction) in ballast requirements just in switching from the Ranger, an otherwise great BCD but very 'floaty', to a SS BP was considerably more than the gross weight of the BCD vs the BP. I don't want to add any more weight than I absolutely have to to be able to descend the first 5 feet, and to hold a safety stop with a near empty cylinder. So, why would I use a BCD that makes me do that. Other divers, who are inherently more negatively buoyant than I am, may actually benefit from a floaty BCD. Most divers I work with do not fall into that category.
b) this point makes no sense at all. If it fits, it fits. If it doesn't, it doesn't.
I wonder if this is either a misplaced comment, or a misunderstanding of my original comment. My point had nothing whatsoever to do with fit. It was about physics, and physiology. And, to paraphrase your observation, I would suggest that 'the type of BCD is utterly relevant to this.' It is about aligning the center of weight in the BCD with the diver's center of lift - the thorax. What do we repeatedly tell divers about buoyancy control? Use your breathing, not your BCD, for primary control of your buoyancy underwater. The thorax (the lungs, specifically) is where the physiologic center of lift is. If we put the center of weight 'below' that point - e.g. on a weight belt, or in the vast majority of integrated weight systems available today, many divers will tend to end up in a somewhat foot low position underwater. That is simply physics - the center of weight and center of lift seek to vertically align themselves in any space affected by gravity, including water. Most of us can compensate for a certain degree of foot low effect with lighter fins, or subtle station keeping. I can do it, with reasonable ease. But, personally, I don't feel the need to be constantly station keeping, no matter how minimal the effort, to address this if I don't have to. Manufacturers have (belatedly) come to acknowledge this fact of physics, reflected in the growing number of BCDs (be it a jacket or back-inflation unit) appearing on the market with trim pockets placed higher on the BCD. Those pockets place weight where it should optimally be - more closely aligned with a diver's physiologic center of lift.
c) you will need less ballast weight with a SS backplate as compared to a jacket. However, the discussion about ballast weights is going to depend much more on the SUIT you're using and not on the BCD you're using.
I fully agree, that the suit makes a difference in the total amount of ballast. But, irrespective of what exposure suit, and associated suit ballast requirements, a diver uses - and going back to the comments regarding point a) - why would I want to strap on more ballast to compensate for the 'floatiness of a fabric BCD (be it a jacket or back-inflation unit)? Other divers might choose to do so, and their is their privilege. My comments outlined MY personal preferences. As a related example: I choose to dive a drysuit in certain environments. I pay a price to do that - I willingly strap on more lead, to accrue the benefits a drysuit offers compared to my 3mm wetsuit. I get no particular benefit from a fabric BCD - in terms of fit, comfort, or unique utility - that justifies added weight.
e) you might need a crotch strap on a BP/W for floating on the surface. Under water, it has virtually no function unless you're wearing 40 or 50kg of tanks that you need to keep from moving around too much. A jacket is a BCD intended and designed for one tank and no stages and the manner in which it is designed makes a crotch strap an unneeded feature. This is really a case of comparing apples and oranges.
Not at all. Rather, it is specifically about having a crotch strap vs not having a crotch strap (which, as it turns out, many jacket BCDs simply do not). I agree that the 'need' for a crotch strap is probably greater at the surface. And, I think 'need' is in part a matter of individual diver preference. But, that 'need', real or perceived, is the same at the surface for either a BP or a jacket, so why not use a BCD that is more likely to readily meet the need? And, if a diver is wearing a substantial amount of NON-INTEGRATED weight (e.g. on a belt), even with a BCD that may be fully adjusted (but still not fit well), there is a tendency at the surface for the BCD to ride up on the diver (or, perhaps more accurately, for the diver to slip down / out of the BCD). For me, a crotch strap can be a benefit at the surface. Underwater, even with single cylinders, there can be a certain amount of weight shifting, particularly with larger steels, and a crotch strap is also a benefit. Can a diver do without a crotch strap? Yes. As an example, I can and will if absolutely necessary, dive backmounted double steels (and deco bottles) without a crotch strap. However, I prefer to have one, so I choose to dive rigs that afford me the opportunity to easily include one. Call it need, or simply personal preference. It adds stability.
f) This will depend on the jacket. Personally I adjusted my BP/W ONCE in 2002 and haven't touched it since and I adjusted the straps on the jacket ONCE the day I bought it and haven't touched it since. The exception are the shoulder straps on the jacket that you generally need to tighten when you put it on before every dive. This is about as complicated as putting on the seat belt in your car. My advice would be that if you aren't able to tighten a shoulder strap or put on a seat belt by yourself, that diving might not be the sport for you.
The number of times a unit is adjusted has little to do with whether it properly fits or not. I will go a bit further, and possibly annoy some - I think this distinction may not be fully appreciated by a number of divers, and by a number of dive shop personnel. Cranking down on shoulder straps and waist straps does not necessarily result in a proper fit. And, that is another thread, altogether. But, 'adjustment' was not the point. Like you, I haven't adjusted my BP harness since I first put it together years ago - although I spent some time adjusting the unit initially to get what I considered to be a good fit. And, I use different BPs for drysuit diving and for wetsuit diving, instead of trying to adjust one harness to properly fit me under both sets of conditions. I also haven't adjusted my jacket since I first put it into service. Of the two, my BP harness fits ME better. Remember, my original point was that 'I PERSONALLY prefer' a BP, and my comments reflected the advantages that I see, for me.

Over the years, I have helped, and currently I help, fit A LOT of divers in BCDs - students, customers, etc. In most cases, I have been reasonably successful, in a few cases I have not been, so I make no claim to perfection. And, while I have found that it is generally easier to get a better, snugger, more comfortable fit with a BP harness, than it is with a jacket BCD, it is NOT universally possible to properly fit everyone with a BP harness, or properly fit everyone with a jacket, or properly everyone with a soft back-inflate unit. The majority of jacket BCDs come in fixed sizes, and depending on how 'standard' a diver's abdominal girth, or shoulder width / thickness might be, it may be a bit easier to properly fit them with a BP harness than a jacket.
Again, this is over-reaching in the quest to find arguments that sound on the surface like they make any sense.
On this one we can disagree. I probably could suggest the same thing - that you are overreaching to make a contrary point. But, that doesn't serve the point of the thread very well, does it? The original comments do make real sense, both on the surface and below the surface. They may not be applicable to all divers, and it was not my intention to say that they are, nor to argue that everyone should use a BP. Rather, they were composed so that others might understand the specific basis for my statement that, while I own and dive both BPs and jacket BCDs, I PERSONALLY PREFER a BP. Frankly, what another diver chooses to use or not use doesn't affect me. But, I am happy to share my experience with others - such as the OP, who specifically asked about something with which I happen to have a body of experience - in the hope that it will help them make a decision that suits them.

Last edited:
I'd like to thank everyone for the, um, edifying discussion! Although I do feel like I've nudged a hornet's nest just a little - sorry about that!

I'm more or less set on a BP/W setup - I've used soft jackets (without stiff backings) occasionally and don't like those, and regular jacket-style BCs work OK for me in the water but I always feel like there's a lot of excess 'stuff' hanging around. I tend to dive a 3 to max 5mm wetsuit, and with regular rental gear I usually get by with 8-10 lbs of additional weight - shaving off a few by going with a metal backplate would be an added bonus. Even with BCDs with quick release buckles, I think I can count the times I've used them on a single hand, so a hogarthian harnass (possibly with some slide adapters like the Agir Harpa Loop) seem like a good idea. I've also found some local places that sell DTD and Tecline equipment, which seems to be relatively popular around here (looking at a few European forums) and is priced nicely for a alu plate travel set with ditchable weight pockets included. The fact I can go to a store that's sort of local (bit over an hour and a half's drive) and try a few of those on is also appealing.

I always find these discussions amusing. But I heard something new today... NOW BC"s are hard to vent (completely). That is not in my experience and to be honest I have a SIGNIFICANT complaints about venting a horseshoe Bladder/Wing because the air gets trapped in one side and you have to do extra motions to shift the bubble around to vent.

Yesterday I was diving and thinking about how I always read on this forum how comfortable BP/W is. What a load of crap! We were on a small boat wearing a heavy steel tank in 4-6 ft waves with whitecaps... We were getting hammered and had to wait about 10 minutes to get dropped. The hard metal plate is very uncomfortable on my back (even with a 3 mm suit and a thin piece of carpet for a pad), the straps dig into my shoulders- even though one side is padded with wetsuit rubber, bending over and trying to find and secure the crotch strap on a pitching boat is a total pain in the assss because it is easy to lose balance when leaning over (and where there are no seats) and to realize I don't need this strap for a normal BC makes it more frustrating.

A normal padded BC would not have made the experience fun, but it would have been less painful. In addition, I always read that you need only a simple harness, but for me, the cross chest strap to pull the straps in a little is essential for comfortable loading of my speargun. Don't believe all the hype about BP/w for single tank diving... If you buy a decent BC, avoid the ridiculous ditchable weight pockets (and use a decent quality rubber weightbelt instead), a good BC probably does everything you need.

edit:
Oh yeah.. and a normal harness would be completely unworkable for me. I had to modify the straps so there are slides at the waist connection - otherwise is would be horrible trying to work my arms into fixed length straps on a pitching boat (with a heavy steel tank perched on a 6-inch wide gunwale) in rough seas.

for me, the cross chest strap to pull the straps in a little is essential for comfortable loading of my speargun.

How so? I load my speargun against my chest (rubber-band gun) and I thought that the chest strap and the buckle that goes with it get in the way of loading. What am I misunderstanding in your statement? :)

The shoulder straps dig into my arm pits too much and it is uncomfortable if I don't keep the straps from being pinched. The cross chest strap itself does not present a problem for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom