Jacket BCDs, BP/W and bouyancy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattia_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm an inexperienced diver, and budding underwater photographer (certified in 2008, ~70 dives under my belt, 40 in the past year) and I'm finally looking into buying my own kit, and I'm currently wrestling with a few choices. I've only ever dived with (often older, middle-of-the-pack) rental jacket BCDs, but the freedom of a backplate/wing setup, or a rear inflate jacket BCD sounds very appealing. We travel a lot when diving, so weight and transport is a key concern, and we're warm water recreational divers, so the option for full-on multi-tank support is a non-issue, at least for the foreseeable future. I'm looking at several options (xDeep, DiveRite, and ScubaPro's X-tec are all on the shortlist, the latter because it's the only setup my LDS carries, and price for the former two), and I think an aluminum plate and Hogarthian harnass single tank/donut wing should yield a fairly easy to travel with setup.

What I'm mostly curious about is how easy it is to keep station in 'odd' positions with a backplate/wing system; I like flipping upside down (fins up, head down) from time to time, for example to peek under an overhang or rock without stirring up the bottom, and for some macro shots close to the sea floor. Most articles I read extoll the virtues of a backplate/wing for maintaining 'proper' horizontal bouyancy, but what about less conventional positions? Does a jacket-style BCD, with its air distribution around the entire torso, have any advantages in this respect? Does it matter hugely? I usually manage to trim so I barely have any air in the BCD when I'm at depth, so I guess it might not matter too much, but any experiences would be much appreciated...

A properly adjusted backplate and harness holds the tank stable in any position. Jacket BCs allow the tank to shift, which throws off your balance. I've traveled with a single tank backplate and wing for the past ten years in warm and cold water with no problems. A backplate and small wing will often weigh less than a jacket BC with all of the pockets and extra D-rings attached to some of them.

A BP/W will allow you to do all you want. Yes it excels at proper trim underwater, but it doesn't limit you in alternative positions. It is easy to travel with.

Avoid gimmicky stuff like the xDeep Ghost and that Scubapro abortion. DiveRite is good kit, and the rest of the xDeep stuff is fine, if a little expensive. Or, the best option, give Jim Lapenta (same username here) a call and have him set you up with a Hog BP/W and harness. Another alternative are the packages sold by Dive Gear Express and Dive Right In Scuba. Both are excellent options. Basic harness, don't go for anything goofy. You don't need a backpad. I like using a steel backplate all the time, but you might find you'd rather save on travel weight and just add weight to a belt when you reach your diving destination.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-custom-ultimate-harness-package-dive-rite-exp

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Before I set you up with a rig send me your email address via pm or using my direct email in my signature below. I have an 11 page article on bpw style rigs. It will answer many of your questions and perhaps help you think of new ones to ask, that I'll be happy to answer. There is no need to spend a fortune on one.

I would for sure go with a BP/W no other way about it.
Jackets are terrible IMO all that way around. They're bulky and don't travel well, they're gimmicky with a lot of unnecessary fabric and padding. they require more weight because they have no inherent buoyancy and actually require some additional weight just to sink themselves, and they flop around a lot because of the way the fabric holds the tank and there's little way to stop that annoying feature. Back inflates might be a step in the right direction but they're still too close in build and unnecessary gimmickry to be much better. The only benefit above a jacket with a cross-over back inflate is the wing is in back which may hold you flatter in the water, but they're still way over designed and way overblown for what they need to be.
Look into an aluminum back plate and a nice small wing from #18 lb up to mid 20's lb lift since you're doing warm water. You really don't need any more than that. BP/W also have the option to use a crotch strap which for aquabatic maneuvers like you want to do, it will be perfect. BP/W's don't flop around like jackets or crossovers and they keep the tank secured to your body exceedingly well. BP/W's are very simple to look at with just plain straps, a metal plate, a couple cam bands, and a wing. They also pack down very well and many people travel with them in a carry-on.

Thanks for the info guys!

Jim: the article sounds interesting, but given my location (The Netherlands) and the costs of transatlantic shipping and taxes on top of that (plus an ever weakening Euro), I'm not sure ordering gear from the USA is an effective way to go about things. If you wouldn't mind sharing the article with info despite this, I would be much obliged.

I do wonder whether a minimalist no padding, single webbing harness system is ideal considering the fact I do quite a lot of shore diving - my girlfriend has family on Bonaire, so we've been going almost every year, and that means a lot of shore diving, long walks, etc. I may also occasionally dive in The Netherlands (although I don't like the colder waters), which also involves long walks along the dyke before you can get into the water. That's where a little padding on the straps (a la Transplate) might provide a bit of comfort.

Last edited:
I've worn my BP/W in Bonaire over a T-shirt without issue. (Of course, I was diving a single Al80, not a heavy set of doubles)

I do wonder whether a minimalist no padding, single webbing harness system is ideal considering the fact I do quite a lot of shore diving - my girlfriend has family on Bonaire, so we've been going almost every year, and that means a lot of shore diving, long walks, etc. I may also occasionally dive in The Netherlands (although I don't like the colder waters), which also involves long walks along the dyke before you can get into the water. That's where a little padding on the straps (a la Transplate) might provide a bit of comfort.

While a padded harness sounds like a good idea for long walks with shore dives (I was SMOKED at the end of my last shore dive from walking tanks up and down stairs), the padding requires extra weight to sink it. So to gain a little bit of padding: you would have to add weight. The most basic harness is constructed from 2 inch webbing. Thats pretty thick stuff on its own and should support the weight fine, especially if it has a wetsuit to ride ontop off. Also with a basic harness you gain a lot more flexibility where you place D rings and any pouches your dive requires. A basic harness will probably fold easier than a padded one for stowing in a gear bag.

Lastly, MANY divers with way more experience seem to recommend a basic harness. I like to let other people buy twice.

The good news is you can buy (or make) the pads later if you decide you need them. E.g. these Scubapro X-Tek Shoulder Pads, Pair 23.809.000 shouldn't restrict your D-ring placement options too much. Same for back pad, extra D-rings, sternum strap: available separately, easy to add later. Or you can buy them all now and take them off later. That is not something you can easily do with e.g. transpac.

Back
Top Bottom