J-Valve to an Al80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The advantage is that a J valve lets you experience all the thrills and excitement of a OOA event without the inherent danger. :eyebrow:

Haa,Haa, - Classic. :lotsalove:

I have nothing against a J valve, I dived them for years, I just feel it requires a bit more "work" maintainance and dive wise than a SPG - if you are okay with the effort, its no problem.

.........but I am just wondering, "Why do you want to change the K valve out with a J valve" - Maybe I am missing something, (its late :D) but if you dive with an SPG, I cant see any advantage in the swop.?

A J valve makes carrying the tank around much easier - you get to hook 2 fingers on each side of the valve vs. 1 to 1.5 on one side of a K.

I remember those days :D It was quite common to get to that hard breathing low on air point, reach back to open the J valve and find it was already open on it's own :amazed:
Ahh, those were the days!

Thanks for the advice on changing out the burst disk that will save on cost and effort. I have already lined up two j-valves to replace my k-valves, now i just have to change out the disks.

make sure you have the valve in the down position when you go to get fills,otherwise you might get a real short fill,not many tank monkeys are used to dealing with j valves anymore.

One thing, and forgive me as I momentarily have forgotten the O ring designation but most J valves have the older style "fat" O ring which was intended for 2,250 service and most modern 3,000 service valves have the smaller section O ring. However, I have used the fat section O ring with success, it is more prone to an extrusion event, JMO.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom