J-Valve to an Al80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit 4 life

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to change the valve on my Al80 from its K-Valve to a J-Valve, how before I go and find the J-Valve I want to know if this will work or not or should I just get a steel 72 and save myself the time and trouble? My real problem would be can a J-Valve support a 3000psi tank or not?

Thanks

Some J-vavles might support it while others won't.

the pressure rating is also not just the valve but the 'burst disc' that is in the valve.

If you've got an older valve with the 2250psi burst disc in it, you should be able to change it out with a 3000psi burst disc. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

I have a couple of 80s with J valves. As long as the burst disks are correctly rated, it's a simple screw one out and another in change.

Look for a later model Sherwood or Dacor J valve. The Dacor type show up regular enough. I would change the burst disc, also adjust the "come in" pressure for the reserve to a higher value.

Yeah, really, just find yourself a steel 72, to go with the 80.

N

Theres no problem changing out the valve as has been suggested. I also concur, change out the burst disc and you should be set.

..........but I am just wondering, "Why do you want to change the K valve out with a J valve" - Maybe I am missing something, (its late :D) but if you dive with an SPG, I cant see any advantage in the swop.?

..........but I am just wondering, "Why do you want to change the K valve out with a J valve" - Maybe I am missing something, (its late :D) but if you dive with an SPG, I cant see any advantage in the swop.?

The advantage is that a J valve lets you experience all the thrills and excitement of a OOA event without the inherent danger. :eyebrow:

I don't plan to use a SPG, the J-valve is for when I have my double hose regulator working

The advantage is that a J valve lets you experience all the thrills and excitement of a OOA event without the inherent danger. :eyebrow:

I remember those days :D It was quite common to get to that hard breathing low on air point, reach back to open the J valve and find it was already open on it's own :amazed:

I remember those days :D It was quite common to get to that hard breathing low on air point, reach back to open the J valve and find it was already open on it's own :amazed:

J valves opening on their own is like a gun firing for no reason. If you had checked the J valve as often then as as you check an SPG now there should be no surprises.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom