J valve on AL80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rboyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an old AL80 by Dacor, it has a J valve on it.....passed hydro/vip this year and valve works smoothly...should I put a new K valve on or not worry about it since it works fine??

I had a J-valve on a steel 72 and never had a problem with it. It was locked down into the open (reserve in use) position though. I AM selling a pair of like new Sherwood K valves though... just in case you wanted to swap it out :wink:

I get my valves serviced every hydro. About $8.00 in parts, cheap insurance. I have 2 tanks with J valves, just have to dive them pulled down.

I have one I dive on a regular basis with no problems. If you do by accident start your dive in the "normal" position you will very quickly discover your mistake.....if not I don't care to dive with you. :)

rboyer:
I have an old AL80 by Dacor, it has a J valve on it.....passed hydro/vip this year and valve works smoothly...should I put a new K valve on or not worry about it since it works fine??
So long as it is working properly and you aren't relying on it for gas management, there isn't any reason to automatically replace it. Like any valve, they should be serviced periodically and, given a new K valve will set you back less than $40, I might replace it rather than service it.

As long as its open its OK. But I understand the J-valves can be modified to stay open. I had no problem with mine.

I had J-vlaves on my old steel 72s for years. Just went all DIN this year, so I had them replaced, but never had any problems w/ them and I always dove with the lever in open/down position. FWI, I heard from my LDS that since the J-valves are not made any more, you might have difficulty getting replacement parts. I don't know how true that is.

LobstaMan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom