I've been set free!!! Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like all of you also like solo diving. But I do feel resistance by the establishment. Just recently I got an email from a resort in Bonaire stating no solo diving is allowed. This happened to me again in the Caymans where 2 businesses would not give tanks out as on that day, my buddy had gone shopping with his wife and I was stranded on land looking at the beautiful water.
I heard/read previously that Cayman has a general rule (or law???) against solo diving, even if certified. But a Bonaire resort stating such is scary news. That would be a resort I would need to avoid. Hence the question:
Which resort?

I love diving with my buddy (my wife), but sometimes she doesn't feel like diving. I never wanted to feel like I was pressuring her to dive (and I didn't want her to feel like she was keeping me from diving), so while on Bonaire I rented a pony and got into solo. I did the cert at Dive Friends and found it to be an enjoyable class. Honestly, I don't particularly enjoy humping around the pony (even a small one), but I recognize it's part of the "package" and necessary for responsible safety (IMHO). I do enjoy solo, but my wife and I have been dive buddies long enough that a buddy isn't a burden, so I don't really get a big boost of "dive freedom," but when she's not diving, it's way better than staying dry. For me it's the best alternative means to an end and diving is a wonderful "end." :) All IMHO, YMMV.

...and diving is a wonderful "end."
My apologies if religiously or otherwise inappropriate, but in the back of my head I could not resist loudly saying / thinking "Amen" to that...

Most of my diving over the last 56 years has been solo (although I'm happy when one of my buddies or my son is available). I don't recommend solo diving to anyone whose history I don't know though. My biggest question is how does the individual respond to a problem. Those who panic should not be diving solo, those who face it with a clear head and address the problem are most likely to be successful.

Just recently I got an email from a resort in Bonaire stating no solo diving is allowed.

That's hardly policeable when shore-diving away from the house reef, but late 2017 I did some e-mailing researching for a possible return to Bonaire. In Sept. 2017, I exchanged e-mails with Buddy Dive. Here are excerpts from 2:

"Please keep in mind it is not permitted to go shore diving by yourself, you always need to have a dive buddy to go shore diving. At the dive shop we have a board on which divers looking for a buddy can sign up."

I then pointed out I've got SDI Solo cert.

"I have just checked with the dive shop. If you are a certified solo diver you are allowed to go off shore by your self."

Earlier, back in February 2017, I exchanged e-mails with Dive Friends. An excerpt from their reply:

"We follow the PADI standards which are very clear: if you would like to do solo shore diving, you will need to be a certified Self-Reliant diver (which is a course that we offer for divers with 100+ logged dives and Rescue level).

All reputable dive operations who are following industry standard's will require that solo divers have a Self-Reliant diver certification."

I heard/read previously that Cayman has a general rule (or law???) against solo diving, even if certified.

Back in early 2016 I sent an e-mail to Ocean Frontiers, a reputable Grand Cayman dive op., to try to get to the bottom of this. Here is an excerpt from the e-mail I got in reply (keep in mind this is from early 2016 and at 2-years later, things may've changed since then):

"Ocean Frontiers Ltd and most other dive shops in Cayman follow the
CITA's (Cayman Islands Tourism Association) Water Sports Guidelines.

The overarching policy is that divers must dive within the limits of
their training and certification. Which is most cases would restrict
most divers from solo diving. Open Water, Advanced or Rescue training
does include any skills on solo diving.

At Ocean Frontiers we teach PADI's 'Self Reliant Diver' certification
and provide the necessary pony bottle for redundancy. Divers with this
particular certification and with the required additional equipment
are permitted to dive from any of our dive boats without a buddy.

In regards to shore diving, as stated on our website - solo shore
diving is not permitted as a company policy. As far as we will not
rent a single tank to a single diver without a buddy- regardless of
certification level."

I bring this up because the 'anti-solo' dive culture the Caymans is sometimes perceived to have is such that people wonder if there's a 'law' against it. From what I understand, no.

Richard.

That's hardly policeable when shore-diving away from the house reef, but late 2017 I did some e-mailing researching for a possible return to Bonaire. In Sept. 2017, I exchanged e-mails with Buddy Dive. Here are excerpts from 2:

"Please keep in mind it is not permitted to go shore diving by yourself, you always need to have a dive buddy to go shore diving. At the dive shop we have a board on which divers looking for a buddy can sign up."

I then pointed out I've got SDI Solo cert.

"I have just checked with the dive shop. If you are a certified solo diver you are allowed to go off shore by your self."

Earlier, back in February 2017, I exchanged e-mails with Dive Friends. An excerpt from their reply:

"We follow the PADI standards which are very clear: if you would like to do solo shore diving, you will need to be a certified Self-Reliant diver (which is a course that we offer for divers with 100+ logged dives and Rescue level).

All reputable dive operations who are following industry standard's will require that solo divers have a Self-Reliant diver certification."

Back in early 2016 I sent an e-mail to Ocean Frontiers, a reputable Grand Cayman dive op., to try to get to the bottom of this. Here is an excerpt from the e-mail I got in reply (keep in mind this is from early 2016 and at 2-years later, things may've changed since then):

"Ocean Frontiers Ltd and most other dive shops in Cayman follow the
CITA's (Cayman Islands Tourism Association) Water Sports Guidelines.

The overarching policy is that divers must dive within the limits of
their training and certification. Which is most cases would restrict
most divers from solo diving. Open Water, Advanced or Rescue training
does include any skills on solo diving.

At Ocean Frontiers we teach PADI's 'Self Reliant Diver' certification
and provide the necessary pony bottle for redundancy. Divers with this
particular certification and with the required additional equipment
are permitted to dive from any of our dive boats without a buddy.

In regards to shore diving, as stated on our website - solo shore
diving is not permitted as a company policy. As far as we will not
rent a single tank to a single diver without a buddy- regardless of
certification level."

I bring this up because the 'anti-solo' dive culture the Caymans is sometimes perceived to have is such that people wonder if there's a 'law' against it. From what I understand, no.

Richard.
Liking the detailed reply supplying first hand info (from the time...)... not the aparrent policy against solo shore diving on the Caymans.... Which is too bad as the wife now is up to do one 2 tank boat dive a day and I would be perfectly fine doing any additional diving from shore (cost...).
It really means to us we need to work harder on finding a decently non 17 hour plus connection to Bonaire... at a time that wants to work for us... Or try Roatan... or...

Actually I got the exact email as Richard from Buddy. Turned me off completely.

My buddy and I often did not dive solo in the 80's and 90's...that was against the rule. But on any number of "treasure hunts", which are normally held in a fairly sheltered bay anyway, the deal was always "Right, meet you back here in 30 minutes so we can surface together?" and that was that. No pony, no special training, just know your gear, know your environment, know how to bail out if something happened.

So, congratulations. I think the solo rating is mainly good because it is a "DON'T PANIC" refresher, and because it gives you the handy three liability release forms to pass around so the agency, the boat captain, and the divemaster will all be happy. Funny, I never thought their liability release forms were any better than anyone else's....

Step away from the Xerox machine, you are not authorized to copy that form! (sigh)

OP here. Thanks for all the great responses. To answer several inquires: yes, I did get solo certified. It was fun!

My only concern in the future is the availability of pony bottles for a reasonable rate. I DO NOT want to fly with one in my luggage. Seems like a big (and expensive) pain, when considering all my other gear and luggage fees.

Luckily, Coco View had them for free, but other places I've asked have limited or no availability. Maybe that will change too.

Congratulations on being set free from the constraints of the the “buddy system”. I set becoming solo certified as a goal but im still caught in the catch 22 of not having a regular dive partner to get enough time in the water to not need a dive partner. So the only way for a while was to take more classes just to get more dives in, this makes diving more time consuming and expensive then it needs to be. Which is a major reason I’m almost burnt out on this sport.But again congratulations on your newly acquired liberty especially in a time when so many would trade it for security.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom