I've been meaning to ask this question, so here it is...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A little background on the asking of it 1st: I read all the time here people talking about different lenses for (UW) cameras etc & they use the abbreviation D. My curiosity kicks in now, does anyone(without looking it up of course..lol) know what a D. is & 'how it's used in optics???

Come on all you P.O.(physiological optics) majors, lets here it....

I use a "wet" Diopter called a Woody for shooting macro.

cdennyb:
diopter. look it up.

Trust me, I know what it is....have had 7 post graduate P.O. courses .....In particular, it's (our) unit of power, recipical meters, which means what??...........

The definition I recall is something like the focal length at 30-some inches, probably a meter 'cause it's always metric in optics is the power of 1 diopter, and people I chat with about underwater photog explain you can change the diopter lens you use to compensate for the magnification of the water refraction. You know, everything looks bigger underwater thing. Someone else out there will no doubt make me look stupid with their vast knowledge of what I'm trying to say. Have at it.

db

Back
Top Bottom