I've been dry too long, need to get wet! Anything going on at Gilboa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paintballpsyco2369

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, how's it going everyone? Been quite some time since I have checked in here and figure I would say hello again and see what's going on? I haven't been to Gilboa in quite a while sadly, how's it all going down there? Been thinking about a weekend trip down there, gotta get back in the water lol. Was working a TON of hours and 6 days a week at my last job so diving was kinda out of the question... Anyways, they canned me and new job is a bit more lax and easy to get days off so now I can get back in the water :) Last few dives I think were in the Detroit river so seeing something other than murky watered silt is kinda high on my list right now lol.

Anything new in Gilboa? Mike have that little tunnel system setup yet maybe, or anything else new to see? Got to get my double back together, or at least get my 120 back from my buddy then want to get in the water SO BAD... Half tempted to go in my pond even lol. Though it's barely deep enough to use a snorkel in right now...

Paint

Right now I believe Gilboa has been without power since Friday's storms. You can dive, but bring your own gas. Hopefully they'll get electricity back on soon.

The tunnel system isn't in yet. Nothing new of significance in terms of underwater structures. He did stock a ton of fish this spring to rebuild to fish stock. It's still a great place to get wet! I was just there 3 weeks ago. I most likely won't make it back until later summer or early fall. I'm focusing on hitting the Great Lakes this summer.

This year Mike added more trees for fish habitat and then added a bunch of new fish this year. Here is a quick video I took after the trees were put in, but before the fish were added.

[vimeo]41714868[/vimeo]

Right now I believe Gilboa has been without power since Friday's storms. You can dive, but bring your own gas. Hopefully they'll get electricity back on soon.

The tunnel system isn't in yet. Nothing new of significance in terms of underwater structures. He did stock a ton of fish this spring to rebuild to fish stock. It's still a great place to get wet! I was just there 3 weeks ago. I most likely won't make it back until later summer or early fall. I'm focusing on hitting the Great Lakes this summer.
Didn't know there were storms down there lol. Everything ok aside from lack of power? I love it there! Want to do more deep stuff and now that I have my own set of doubles (had been borrowing a friends set for over a year lol) I can :) Just need to find someone else to go with me lol. I also want to get out on the lakes, but the friends of mine who go out of Harbor Beach do the Tech stuff, I am not certified for Tech yet, so that limits my options considerably... I can't wait till he gets the tunnel in, looks like a lot of fun!

This year Mike added more trees for fish habitat and then added a bunch of new fish this year. Here is a quick video I took after the trees were put in, but before the fish were added.

(removed link in quote to keep thread simple...)
Very cool, video looks good, and Vis looks AWESOME!

Paint

I spoke with a young lady there today. No power as yet. The pictures I saw on the Indiana SCUBA Divers group on FB showed some stills of what happened. The road in the campground was devastated as were at least one truck and one camper. The gal said there were limbs hanging in trees & they are bringing in equipment to get down before they fall. Evidently the road is all but cleared.

She said they are hoping to have electricity by Friday. I am calling Thursday again. I have a couple students, and was looking forward to camping with my son and his g-f as she is doing her OW; and do the Deep scenario with a couple DM candidates. However, if no gas can be pumped, that wouldn't be too smart. Will have to develop Plan B.

I need to take care of my students but want to support Mike as well. Looks like we won't be in the way of the cleanup at least.

I spoke with a young lady there today. No power as yet. The pictures I saw on the Indiana SCUBA Divers group on FB showed some stills of what happened. The road in the campground was devastated as were at least one truck and one camper. The gal said there were limbs hanging in trees & they are bringing in equipment to get down before they fall. Evidently the road is all but cleared.

She said they are hoping to have electricity by Friday. I am calling Thursday again. I have a couple students, and was looking forward to camping with my son and his g-f as she is doing her OW; and do the Deep scenario with a couple DM candidates. However, if no gas can be pumped, that wouldn't be too smart. Will have to develop Plan B.

I need to take care of my students but want to support Mike as well. Looks like we won't be in the way of the cleanup at least.

That must have been quite the storm. I've been there during some rough weather and have never seen damage anything like the pictures showed. I'm thankful no one was injured.

I completed a Master Diver class at Gilboa on Saturday. One of my fellow students had his camper demolished when a limb came down on it Friday night. No power from Defiance Ohio (on Highway 15) all the way to Gilboa on Saturday. Visibility was very poor for Gilboa. The road to the training platforms is open, but a lot of branches and leaves on the surface and the bottom. The Gilboa staff were removing debris, but there were some trees and branches hanging from other trees. I am glad they are getting those removed. On Saturday, one gas station in Bryant was running a generator. No gas between Gilboa and Defiance. I understand that Findlay has power in many locations, but call before you go. We cancelled our reservations at the Drury because they did not have power on Saturday morning. It was restored sometime Saturday evening.

Does anyone have an update on the power at Gilboa, I would like to go diving this weekend and trying to decide where. Looking for buddies.

I talked to the shop yesterday, they are saying that power should be up today or tomorrow, Friday at the latest... Really hoping it's up, as this weekend will be our first trip there!

I just spoke to Gilboa, they said the power is back up.
It would be good to meet up with other going to Gilboa this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom