It's the same, right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought a drysuit and won't even think about diving anything under 55-60 degrees in a wetsuit. Wetsuits only last so many dives before they lose their insulating properties. However, drysuits if taken care of can last for years with the only thing needing done is a seal being changed here or there. Also with your sizes, you might even fit into a standard size drysuit. Wetsuits on the other hand you'll more than likely have to mix match sizes on a farmer john to get a decent fit. If I would of realized how much nicer it is diving in a drysuit in the middle of winter and getting out in the snow/wind/rain I would have switched a lot sooner than I did.

What is the definition of Coldwater?
And why on earth would anyone consider going below 60 without a drysuit??

Wow! Great feedback! I was originally thinking about a jumpsuit-type wetsuit. Looking into it now though, a farmer John definitely seems the way to go. I say this because I haven't really looked into dry suits....yet. I don't know how they work.Great point about my equipment/gear differing as I gain diving experience. I'm looking into getting PADI OW within the next few months, and it wouldn't be until after September that I would go any further due to military deployment. I likely wouldn't dive much, if at all, from May to October. However, i would pursue AOW, night and wreck diving when able.Due to my size, would it be likely a LDS would order suits for me to try on? Or would they let me try on what's in stock, it may not fit, then suggest having one made? Or....would it likely be that I would have to order my wetsuit and engage in a trial and error fitting escapade?The responses and insight are great help! Keep it coming!

soon2bff, I'm 6'6", 260# and I can tell you that finding an off-the-shelf suit of any kind is a hassle and a half. However, the fit of a wetsuit is more important than the fit of a drysuit (IMHO). I'm a broke college kid that thought spending the extra cash on a drysuit was stupid and/or wasteful....until I saw a drysuit diver. We were diving N.FL caves (68F water, 75F air temps). I was diving wet in a WORN 3mm j/j. I was warm enough during the dive, but when I got out of the water I was drenched to the core, frozen, sticky, had to change, etc. A buddy was diving dry. He was out of his drysuit with it packed and in comfortable, dry clothes ready for the ride home before I was even out of my wetsuit. Before I even started breaking down and packing gear, I had to go dry off and change into warm, dry boxers. He was sitting on the bed of the truck with his gear all packed up and ready to go in the bed of the truck, waiting to help other people get their gear together. This was followed by a 13 hour drive home. Guess who wasn't completely dry and guess who was completely comfy. I'll give you a hint: I now own a drysuit.

For how warm different thicknesses are, they ARE different. I've dove a 3mm warmer than any 5mm. It's about sealing the seams, fitment around the neck, wrists, and ankles, and the quality/age of the neoprene. As has been said before, any water moving in and out ruins a wetsuit. The way a wetsuit works is by sealing a pocket of water around you. Your body warms that water, which is insulated by the neoprene. Seams that leak make it harder for your body to keep the water around you warm as it's constantly taking in cold water and leaking your warm water. Bad fit around your neck, wrists, or ankles does the same thing. All neoprene compresses with depth, so the deeper you go the less good it does you. Cheaper neoprene compresses more and/or insulates less. Old neoprene is either pre-compressed, compresses more, and/or insulates less.

A drysuit (bilam/trilam, mostly) doesn't really keep you warm. It keeps you dry. The idea is a drysuit keeps you dry, the undergarments keep you warm. So, that's not completely true. Your air pocket still insulates you, and all drysuits have at least a little bit of insulation to them. Neoprene drysuits tend to naturally be warmer than laminate drysuits. A drysuit will wear, just like a wetsuit. But different from a wetsuit, as long as the drysuit is keeping you dry it's keeping you warm. Seals go bad, zippers go bad, inflators/deflators go bad....but generally the suits stay good (barring cuts/tears).

For trying one on: I don't know how all shops and/or how all suppliers work....but my LDS could order multiple sizes if you were between sizes and get you to try them all on before you purchased it. As for what I'd do: many drysuit manufacturers will do a semi-custom suit for little to nothing extra. Hollis offered a few buddies and me a semi-custom suit. Send in measurements, wait two weeks, get suit. They stitch together pieces of different sizes to get the best fit for your measurements, and modify some pieces if required.

Since I see you're looking at getting into PADI OW, it's clear you're new to diving. Welcome to [-]your new obsession[/-] [-]the darkside[/-] the club! One thing to note: Diving a drysuit isn't easy to do well. It's not hard to dive, just hard to get good and dive "pretty." I'd recommend renting a wetsuit and diving that while you learn to dive. I also recommend you gauge your interest and the longevity of your interest before investing in any substantial quantity of gear. I was addicted to diving for about 9 months and then didn't dive for 4 years. Now I'm diving as often as the weather (and cash) permits. Not buying gear then was a great decision. Buying gear now was also a great decision. Just make sure your purchases are timed correctly.

So, dry suits are all the rave it seems. im kidding, theres some good points here and other threads i read. Im told that price differnece of a wetsuit and dry suit isnt much, but what about other fees? Maintenance for the drysuit? Additional gear for the drysuit? What about the cost of undergarments? I realize i could look all of this up, and if youre thinking that i assure you i am. Im interested in the experience of others, so i can make the best decision for me when the time comes.

The suggestion of determining my longevity & level of interest is great. That is a big reason i am always reading through (mostly scubaboard) forums and magazines. I figure the more i can figure out, the better idea i will have once i get started actually diving. I'm certainly not going to be going out and buying lots of gear to start. I'm mostly thinking exposure items (wet/dry suit, gloves, hood, booties) and of course mask, fins, snorkel. if theres anything else, let me hear it!

The reason why they're catching on is that drysuit prices are stagnating/lowering and wetsuit prices are climbing. Drysuits are becoming more reliable, too. Also, people wanting to buy gear seem more willing to put in the extra time to get better performance.

I haven't owned my drysuit for long, so I'm not the best to comment on the cost of maintenance on one. However, I know plenty of people with plenty of old drysuits with plenty of dives on them. Switching out zippers and seals every few years seems to be the only maintenance if you are careful with and maintain your drysuit.

As far as undergarments go: I'm sure that there are great undergarments manufactured, marketed, and sold exclusively as drysuit undergarments. I've never used 'em. I know plenty of people that haven't. A Tech diving buddy around here bought rubber ducky footies for like $25 and has been diving those. Depending on water temps, I typically dive shorts and a t-shirt. I'm planning a trip to the N.FL caves for a Cavern/Intro course (think 3 days of 8hours of diving in 68F water)....my only change to t-shirt and shorts is going to be Underarmour Cold Gear top and bottoms, which I already owned. If I still get cold, I'm taking my Virginia Tech sweatpants and my dad's American Eagle sweatshirt (no hood, no pocket, no zipper). Fancy, right? Well, it works great.

Necessary equipment for a drysuit? I have two "chemicals" for my zipper. One came with my drysuit, the other cost $5. My drysuit came with the hose. The drysuit came with the inflator hose. I haven't purchased any extra equipment for the drysuit. Just remember to wear boots over your drysuit socks if you drysuit doesn't have real boots. That'll be your first leak if you don't.

Nothing wrong with buying a used drysuit as long as it fits! All of mine have been used.

Okay.... i'm back!! I took a little hiatus to research, and i got some experience....kinda.

To make a long story short, I'm pretty certain ill be getting a long john and hooded vest. I'm going to try to fund this and my PADI OW cert with tax money. The reality is that my ship will be deploying soon, and im uncertain how often, if at all, i will be able to dive while im gone. Id prefer not to buy the equipment, get the education and basic experience just to not use it for 5 or 6 months. i see it as time better spent doing more research into equipment and the activity while saving MORE money.

I know that there are plenty of places to dive around the world...especially where a naval vessel will be taking me. We are always required to have a liberty party of two or more people when we leave the ship in foreign ports. the likelihood of finding anybody diver certified and willing to match our agendas is slim, and thats why i predict a long break between certifying and diving.

of course, im still all ears for any recommendations and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom