It's Good To Be Home: Marineland Dive Report 1.7.14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
7 months, 19 days and 22 hours since my last scuba dive and oh was I one dry fish. Marineland is where I made my first post certification dives 4 years ago and It was only fitting that my first dive back in So Cal would be there. The Badlands of North Dakota have an incredible array of wildlife to photograph and observe but I never got the same "rush" encountering them as I do with our local underwater critters. It's good to be home :)

This was my first dive with my new camera rig "Ikelite Housing, Sony A65v w/ Sigma 70mm EX Macro lens" and out of the 100+ photos I took over the 90 minute dive, very few were post worthy. The Ikelite port for the Sigma 70mm allows for manual focus only, something which I've never had to use on my previous setups. Also this lens has a very small DOF when shooting in 1:1, so capturing anything in focus that moves takes paitence and a steady hand.

Here are a few stills that made the cut:

This pair of Fringeheads were found in 15ft of water on adjoing boulders from eachother near the cobblestone beach entry/exit. I suspect that there are many more of them on the peninsula then are normally reported or photographed. They are easily passed over, unless you really slow down and scour small sections of reef. It definently takes some patience and a quick eye to spot these little dudes.
Blenny1-Copy.jpg
Blenny4.jpg

Serpellid worm, Serpula columbiana?
Worm.jpg

Scalyhead sculpin, Artedius harringtoni
Sculpin-2.jpg
SculpinEye.jpg

One of two adult Two Spot Octopus spotted on the dive.
Octo-4.jpg

This big boy Cabezon has definently been enjoying the feast that MPA's offer to its top-tier predators. He was very plump :)
Cabezon-1.jpg

Juvi Barred Bass?
JuvBarredBass.jpg

Wonderful photos, Frank! I'm jealous that you were able to achieve such sharp images using manual focus. The serpulid worm is just beautiful. Glad you're back where you belong.

You did great! How was the entry/exit with your new baby?

Thanks Phil. The entry/exit wasn't bad at all. I don't really like the way the Ikelite ports lock onto the housing body. It doesn't really seem like a firm connection and I fear that a strong wave could pull at it enough to let water in. But so far so good. :wink:

---------- Post added January 9th, 2014 at 05:40 PM ----------

Wonderful photos, Frank! I'm jealous that you were able to achieve such sharp images using manual focus. The serpulid worm is just beautiful. Glad you're back where you belong.

Thanks Merry. It took a while to capture that worm. I kept being pulled by the surge and going out of focus.

No lake or quarry dives? I'm not sure I could handle being away from the water that long...great pics...

No lake or quarry dives? I'm not sure I could handle being away from the water that long...great pics...

I did a few free-dives at the local lakes up in North Dakota but most of them had limited visibility and only a few critters. If I return there this Spring I will make sure to bring my scuba gear. I heard that Lake Sakakawea has some decent scuba diving. It's about three hours away from Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

Lake Sakakawea State Park Overview

Be careful picking up any rocks underwater. They might be moose nuggets.

photo9.jpg

I'd be incredibly happy if any of my photos made the standard of those of yours that "passed the cut"!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom