It was one of those epic So Cal dive weekends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you like ship wreck history It is suggested that you obtain a copy of the late great Patrick Smith's book "Shipwrecks of the Southern California coast"

Thanks Mr Miller. My copy is signed by both the authors.
We'll miss Patrick, a good friend.

K

So is mine...but mine is inscribed with a messages.

I really miss and will for some time will miss Pat--We conversed often in person and via e mail.
I suspect many others through the diving world will miss his unequaled knowledge and advice he dispensed so freely

He and his wife Cindy have been visiting with my wife Betty and I at our CenCal hone beginning almost immediately after they met. We often visited them at their SoCal home.

Pat contracted HJD a modern recently discovered horrible fast acting debilitating terminal disease with no known cure.
After he was DXed I spoke with my son Sam, IV, who is a local ER & Hyperbaric Doc. ( I grew my own diving doc) He stated that he had a RT who had contracted HDJ and only survived for a short time after DX.

We visited with Pat & Cindy in SoCal. Cindy needed to go to her office so we took Pat to his favorite breakfast (the Fabulous café in Westminster) Pat was a zombie but ate the huge breakfast, Returned to his home. We made plans for another visit the following week end, Which was not to be..
Tuesday Cindy e mailed -- Pat was waking with a cane
Thursday Pat was in a wheel chair could nor stand up or walk
Friday could not get out of bed -- Passed away.

His passing has left a big void that will probably never be filled

Sam Miller,III
PS google HDJ ,,,ssdm

Almost since its discovery it has been a protected historical site--look but no take and certainly do not disturb.

You have over 1000 to some where under 2500 dives - recall the big Winfield Scott bust? It occurred as I recall off the Truth, or possibly Glen Millers boat, the ???

The usual SoCal wreck bandits were determined to strip the Scott of all it's brass,
They loaded the boat with all their brass stripping gear-- pneumatic chisels, pry bars, lift bags etc.

They gleefully dove on the Scott ripping and raping. Mean while a couple of UW photographers were clicking away. After the first dive they proudly displayed their loot and described where and where they found it .
At the end of the show and tell the three (as I recall) photographers and fellow divers. Identified themselves as federal agents and declared the looters were under arrest and their diving that day was finished- remove your diving costume and set over there on those benches.

It must have been a very interesting trip back to the dock-- where still other federal agents where waiting.

Another saga from the ....Oh! the days of our dives ...

Sam Miller 111

<<< If you like ship wreck history It is suggested that you obtain a copy of the late great Patrick Smith's book "Shipwrecks of the Southern California coast" long out of print but possibly available
from the used book market>>>>>
Speaking of So Cal wrecks, I got to dive on the Peacock/Spirit of America a few weeks back on Santa Cruz island. Conditions that day were no where near as good as this past weekend on Anacapa, but the Peacock is a beautiful dive site in 65 feet of water and encrusted with beautiful pink anemones and shrouded by fish of various types, including pretty large lingcod and Spanish shawls galore: Peacock

Thanks for the report. I was just talking to a buddy about diving out there soon and wondered what the conditions were like so thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom