It was one of those epic So Cal dive weekends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trailboss123

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Unfortunately, I have no underwater pics to prove the fact, since I was helping 6 new folks get open water certified this weekend and wasn't carrying my camera, but trust me when I say that we had incredible dive conditions this weekend out at Anacapa Island. 70+foot visibility on both the front and backside in incredibly blue water. Super healthy kelp, a balmy 67 degree water temp combined with a nice sunny 80 degree surface temp. Face to Face Sea Lion encounter, Black Sea Bass, Leopard Sharks, Horn Sharks, 10 lb+ lobsters and nudibranchs galore. Dive sites included: Brickyard Cove, Goldfish Bowl, Channels, Winfield Scott, Coral Reef and Cathedral Cove. Here are some topside pics:
upload_2017-7-10_13-41-18.png
upload_2017-7-10_13-42-10.png
upload_2017-7-10_13-42-58.png

Last edited:
Glad to hear the kelp's looking good. Wasn't all that long ago I kept reading about it's warm water-related decline and wondering if it was going to bounce back. What boat were you guys on?

Richard.

Glad to hear the kelp's looking good. Wasn't all that long ago I kept reading about it's warm water-related decline and wondering if it was going to bounce back. What boat were you guys on?

Richard.

Should bounce back a bit this year. Actually pretty cold right now for summer, 48F at depth last week in carmel according to my petrel.

We had 49° around Palos Verdes last month but it jumped to an almost uncomfortable 58° yesterday. Actually it is usually in the low 60s by August before things get back to normal. In Laguna Beach and Catalina Island it averages about ten degrees warmer than P.V.

Great report --Love those SoCal days -And the world class diving - Best in the world!

It has been years since I dove the Scott==How much If any remains ?

Looking forward to getting together when you visit Pismodise

SAM

Great report --Love those SoCal days -And the world class diving - Best in the world!

It has been years since I dove the Scott==How much If any remains ?

Looking forward to getting together when you visit Pismodise

SAM
Not a whole lot remains, but you can make out parts of it. The dive site itself is awesome with a very large and beautiful swim through beneath a pinnacle just south of the wreckage.

Wasn't the Winfield Scott closed to diving for a few years? Something about being a historical site?
I remember diving it in the late 90's fairly often.
If you like shipwreck history, this is a good one to research.

Nice report, thank you. Makes me want to get back up there where it all started.

K

Almost since its discovery it has been a protected historical site--look but no take and certainly do not disturb.

You have over 1000 to some where under 2500 dives - recall the big Winfield Scott bust? It occurred as I recall off the Truth, or possibly Glen Millers boat, the ???

The usual SoCal wreck bandits were determined to strip the Scott of all it's brass,
They loaded the boat with all their brass stripping gear-- pneumatic chisels, pry bars, lift bags etc.

They gleefully dove on the Scott ripping and raping. Mean while a couple of UW photographers were clicking away. After the first dive they proudly displayed their loot and described where and where they found it .
At the end of the show and tell the three (as I recall) photographers and fellow divers. Identified themselves as federal agents and declared the looters were under arrest and their diving that day was finished- remove your diving costume and set over there on those benches.

It must have been a very interesting trip back to the dock-- where still other federal agents where waiting.

Another saga from the ....Oh! the days of our dives ...

Sam Miller 111

<<< If you like ship wreck history It is suggested that you obtain a copy of the late great Patrick Smith's book "Shipwrecks of the Southern California coast" long out of print but possibly available
from the used book market>>>>>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom