It is loud down there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm usually a really loud person, but underwater, I don't have to worry about annoying people. What's really hard is when I laugh out the regulator underwater. :)

I'm usually a really loud person, but underwater, I don't have to worry about annoying people. What's really hard is when I laugh out the regulator underwater. :)
hee hee, I thought I was the only one that did that.

I have a saltwater aquarium in my bedroom. There's a pistol shrimp in there and sometimes he wakes me up in the night with his clicking. Being only a few feet away, it's LOUD. I don't mind, though because I love the fact that I can hear marine creatures in my own bedroom that is over a thousand miles from the nearest ocean. If you're near alot of them on a dive it does sound like rice crispies. The first time I ever heard it was years ago when I was sleeping on a boat anchored in salt water. I now recognise the sound and have heard it several times diving.

Here in Hawaii, with all the reef fish, it can be NOISY! And when the humpback whales fire up their "sonar" and "sings" nearby, you can feel it your chest!

So no, you are not crazy if you hear sounds other than your regulator. Crackling, popping, grunting, the occasional loud "boom" (I have not figured that one out yet, but could be whale breaching nearby), boat noises.... the ocean is far from the quiet place you'd imagine. And all this through 3mm or 5mm hoods :wink:

Best wishes.

. . . the occasional loud "boom" (I have not figured that one out yet, but could be whale breaching nearby ..
Best wishes.

Tail slaps maybe? That would be a loud boom.

Back
Top Bottom