#%^$ IT! I'm stuck in Indiana! HELP!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic_diver45

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, my plans to go to St. Thomas for work have finally been pronounced dead, despite 2 weeks worth of best efforts of everyone involved to resuscitate them. The problem this brings up is this.....since I am now stuck in Indiana-Terre Haute to be specific, can anyone point me in the direction of a GOOD dive shop.

I'm willing to travel a fair distance (say 50 or so miles- Bloomington would be about as far as I would want to go, but I will go to Indianapolis if I have to) and I am willing to go to Illinois if need be. If anyone knows somewhere that will cut me a deal for having my fiancee take the class with me that would be perfect. Any suggestions?

**I KNOW THIS IS A REPEAT FROM ANOTHER FORUM, BUT IT WAS SUGGESTED THAT I POST IT HERE AS WELL**

medic_diver45:
Well, my plans to go to St. Thomas for work have finally been pronounced dead, despite 2 weeks worth of best efforts of everyone involved to resuscitate them. The problem this brings up is this.....since I am now stuck in Indiana-Terre Haute to be specific, can anyone point me in the direction of a GOOD dive shop.

I'm willing to travel a fair distance (say 50 or so miles- Bloomington would be about as far as I would want to go, but I will go to Indianapolis if I have to) and I am willing to go to Illinois if need be. If anyone knows somewhere that will cut me a deal for having my fiancee take the class with me that would be perfect. Any suggestions?

**I KNOW THIS IS A REPEAT FROM ANOTHER FORUM, BUT IT WAS SUGGESTED THAT I POST IT HERE AS WELL**

This is wayyy to funny... I live in Terre Haute and never thought that I would find someone else that dives, living here, and on SB.

Dive shops...welll there is one in Brazil east of TH but it isn't the greatest for buying gear since he sells full retail. As for classes Jim seems to be a good instructor. I have watched others from other shops and I think that he is good.
I am pretty sure that Jim will cut you a deal on two taking a class. The LDS number is 812-443-3483. They are easy to find even if you don't know your way around.

I know there is one in Bloomington, never been to. There are several in the Indy area: Divers Supply, Midwest Scuba, Indy MPH (2 locations). I have been to Divers Supply and they had a bit of everything and prices seemed ok. As for classes, can't ehlp you there.

I am SW of Indianapolis, and I believe Indy Divers Supply West is the best shop in the area. I have taken classes through a couple of the local shops, including Indy Divers Supply West. They have people there with tons of experience in many specialty areas. They take the time to listen and help. I believe they offer PADI and IANTD insturction. They just ran a cave class.

http://www.dsiwdeep.com/

Also, Indy MPH II in the Fishers area is great. I haven't taken any classes with them, but they have an awesome inventory, and Eric is a heck of a nice guy.

http://www.indymph.com/

I'm looking to (re)take my OW class....I was in a car accident before I was able to do all my check-out dives. Apparently you can't scuba dive with a cast on your leg (not even if you use it as a substitute for your weight belt. LOL :wink: )

You're right, the dive shop in Brazil is really pricey....good people who run it and I can't fault them for the prices....it's their means of making a living and there just ain't a whole lot of demand for dive gear around here.

I was certified years ago through IU, but ended up taking some other classes through Southern Indiana Scuba in Bloomington. Mark Brooks ran the show there. I imagine he's still there. Great people and very knowledgable.

The folks in Brazil will lead you to believe that the shop is their sole income, it's not. And nobody can tell him that he will sell more if his prices are lower. I can drive to Indy and still save a couple of hundred.
You might go in and talk to Jim about the retake, he is there usually after 3. If you have any of your old records then he might work something out with you. Don't know but would be worth a shot. His other teacher left, thank God, so you will have Jim as an instructor and will end up doing your dives OW dives at Blue Springs in Waldron IN.

crpntr133:
This is wayyy to funny... I live in Terre Haute and never thought that I would find someone else that dives, living here, and on SB.

crpntr133, meet medic_diver45. Now you two play nicely! How cool is that?!

Also, Indy MPH II in the Fishers area is great. I haven't taken any classes with them, but they have an awesome inventory, and Eric is a heck of a nice guy.

http://www.indymph.com/[/QUOTE]
Eric lolololol not if you have to work with him :eyebrow:
he is a good guy he is at MPH in Fishers, Mike is in Carmel MPH 2 I work the mondays in Fishers lol
Give em a call but its a long way for 5 weeks?

I highly recommend (if you don't mind the drive) Aquatech Dive Center in Evansville. They do mainly SSI, but also can do PADI, IANTD and others. They do lots of technical stuff, including cave and Search & Recovery, etc. Check out dives usually at Pennyroyal Springs in Hopkinsville KY, Cerulean Springs at Cerulean KY or they just take you and a couple others to Florida!!! Pool sessions at Evansville YMCA. Call up Larry and explain your situation.

www.aquatechdivecenter.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom