IST Sonic Seeker Anchor Locator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Updates were once per second.

Calibration involved a special turn-on sequence, then putting the two units in immediate contact in a QUIET place and waiting. The mistake people would make is to attempt to calibrate them on boat or where there was significant ambient noise - that would screw it up and good.

genisis

you got me again. 1 second its amazing that the ping life is 20 hours. it does however confirm that it is not a transponder as a 1 sec poing rate is 5000 feet 2 way propogation. only good for 2500 ' max range . using your explanation of being a sender and a receiver (the only way it can work) it gives 5k range between pings.
we used similar devices on the underwater wepons ranges in the service. both transponders and the xios type devices. had to have a backup for everything. oh well if i find one (a wreck model, the spsort is too shallow of a adepth restriction for the xmitter) then i will probably buy one.

the cal proceedure you gave i have seen before. it is done out of the water as i undersstand making it highly suceptable to ambio noise messing up the sync cal. i have heard of some putting in a bucket to cal. i would think that would have its set of problems also but those much wiser than i wrote the proceedures.

so much for another day of painless enlightenment.

regards

KWS

I had a wreck model....

The cal HAS TO be done out of water. If you attempt it IN water (e.g. in a bucket) it will APPEAR to work but be totally screwed up. I discovered this the hard way.

Worse, is that once screwed up it sometimes takes a LONG time to re-cal when done correctly - not the 2-3 minutes they claim, but more like a half-hour or so.

BTW, the lifetime of the 8 AA cells in the transmitter is somewhere on the order of 40 operating hours. I never managed to exhaust ONE set of batteries in the transmitter the entire time I had the unit. The receiver batteries were good for 4-6 hours or so with a set of 2100mah NiMH rechargeables (4 AA cells)

Genesis:
I had a wreck model....

The cal HAS TO be done out of water. If you attempt it IN water (e.g. in a bucket) it will APPEAR to work but be totally screwed up. I discovered this the hard way.

Worse, is that once screwed up it sometimes takes a LONG time to re-cal when done correctly - not the 2-3 minutes they claim, but more like a half-hour or so.

BTW, the lifetime of the 8 AA cells in the transmitter is somewhere on the order of 40 operating hours. I never managed to exhaust ONE set of batteries in the transmitter the entire time I had the unit. The receiver batteries were good for 4-6 hours or so with a set of 2100mah NiMH rechargeables (4 AA cells)

thats good to know i thought that there should be too high reverberation level in the bucket. perhaps that is why those who have tried the ist and the xios think the ist is better.

thanks for the info, you have confirmed a lot of suspicions i had about the device. ii am getting to like it more and more. now to find the funds, perhpas from the birthday fund. cant use the flower fund i will need that, if i can replace those funds in time. oh well. spring time is coming she can find her own.

kws

Hello

I 've used the Sonic seeker many time in the past and for there value they work fine and they have a range of about 4000 ft I beleave, I've never stretch the limit to actually test my unit but have been out over 2000 ft and I've had a light signal with no problems bringing me right back to my entry point. When I first started to look into underwater navigation toys I made a big mistake of buying one on Ebay and as you can guess it was damaged and never worked and the seller was long gone there after or just never returned my emails Yes! negetive feed back for that %&%. Always buy new.

Thank you

Richard

I have always liked the idea of a sonar direction finder for navigating back to the boat, but I'm concerned about the affect it may have on the fish. Is there any information regarding which fish may be able to hear it? Can any of these devices be activated remotely (i.e. by the diver when ready to return)?

Chris

Most marine life (that can hear) can only pick up low frequency sounds, which is why there's so much hooplah about the Navy's LOFAR sonar. Sonic pingers usually operate at high frequencies that most animals cannot hear.

I have been calling all day to find an underwater sonar unit. I can tell you all this. Neverlost by Scubapro is no longer being made or sold. Xios as some of you have said already is out of biz. I got in touch with Desert Star directly and they are "in production" and will not have any units available till May. Last is the Sonic Seeker made in I think Australia that was sold by a shop or two in the states but I can't find anyone who carries it any longer either. Anyone know who may have anything like this in stock ready to sell?

Thanks.

I reaaly want to buy one of these things. Can't find them anywhere at the dives shops in Phoenix, nor on line ether. Help!

divefan:
I have been calling all day to find an underwater sonar unit. I can tell you all this. Neverlost by Scubapro is no longer being made or sold. Xios as some of you have said already is out of biz. I got in touch with Desert Star directly and they are "in production" and will not have any units available till May. Last is the Sonic Seeker made in I think Australia that was sold by a shop or two in the states but I can't find anyone who carries it any longer either. Anyone know who may have anything like this in stock ready to sell?

Thanks.

There is another thread on this subject in the subforum called General Equipment Discussions. See the post #91 for some prices and links. (
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=567227&postcount=91)

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom