IST Sonic Seeker Anchor Locator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Distraction:
Has anyone used this? How well does it work? Any reviews would be appreciated.

I HAVE NOT USED ONE HOWEVER I (oops) was with someone who used one and they were quite satisfied with it. they had it for a couple of years they say.

i am looking for one perhaps the big brother to it. the 2 models have thier pros and cons to it.
easy to find the beacon / direction finder units. tougher finding the locater transponder system. to many retailers i did have the manufacturer of it but lost the name.

re4gards

KWS

The only one of these general class of devices I've seen that I liked was the XIOS, and they went under.

I had one but sold it - it DID work exactly as advertised though - it was amazing.

it seams so for what i have heard

just did a search for eyesea and found several sources for it. also tried xios and it is no longer in the dns server

Be aware that there are a significant number of the EyeSea units floating around on eBAY and elsewhere, and a number of people I've spoken to who have tried to get a working set have ended up with nothing but frustration - apparently there are either some out there that have been damaged in some way, or their calibration is hosed.

Some of these folks are unaware that the units can be recalibrated - they can, if you know how.... :D

Distraction:
Has anyone used this? How well does it work? Any reviews would be appreciated.

this unit is basically a xmitter and a receiver the xmitter you put at the reference pont and it pings, the receiver is in your hand wiwth a directional hydrophone. you make a 360 degree spin and the receiver tells you what direction it sees the strongent return using a streighth meter. no distance readings. it is refered to as relative distance. relative becausxe the stronger the sig the closer to the xmitter you are. the xios on the other hand is a transponder system as i understnd it. it pings that xponder echos back that the wrist unit times the difference and converts it into range +\- a foot or so deprending on svp scatter depth and other sonic related factors. it also give you bearing so the freq is high like the ist.

if someone has a good xios i may be interested in it.

KWS

No, the Xios is a unidirectional unit.

The transmitter is an omnidirectional pinger; it has no receiver functionality. The receiver has three hydrophones on it at 120 degree angles, and a computer inside. It computes range and bearing; I assume it gets distance from attenuation, and bearing from relative strength and possibly phase difference.

Genesis:
No, the Xios is a unidirectional unit.

The transmitter is an omnidirectional pinger; it has no receiver functionality. The receiver has three hydrophones on it at 120 degree angles, and a computer inside. It computes range and bearing; I assume it gets distance from attenuation, and bearing from relative strength and possibly phase difference.

i agree the xmirter has to be omni. the ist receiver is directional. the 3 hydrophones would be for beamforming to get the general bearing. their closeness to each other requires a high freq to work. attenuation is too sloppy to work range from spherical and cilendrical spreading losses are too great 10&20log range and unstable with out regulated power applied to control radiated source level. shallow water will give stronger sig than deep water. perhaps it is sending a time code ofsome sourt. or ssimplier yet,,,when synching the reciever alligns with the xmitters ping rate at 0 rangs. it would transmit on a reliable 1 sec ping interval. that would allow 5000 feet max range interval. then it could work completely passive on the xmitters 1 sec ping rep trate because it knows when it is supposed to xmit then compare the recieved sig time delay to get range. they advertize accuracy +/_6". of course to achieve that it probably monitors water temp to compensate for sound volocity using a given salinity.

when someong told me that the wrist initiated the transponder i wondered how the thing could hold that much battery. now that you tell me it is passive i understand it. of course 20 years of working with the stuff helps.

didnt mean to suggest the smitter was directional sorry

KWS

Yeah, the max range is something like 3,000 feet. I never went that far with it, but 1500 feet was dead-nuts on, provided you didn't get behind something solid or a thermocline.

Accuracy in my experience was a couple of feet. 6" is more than a bit optimistic, but a couple of feet is pertty darn good.....

Its an interesting device, and if you get a "good" one it works fabulously. Unfortunately there are a bunch of bad ones out there, from what I understand, and there is no more support from the builders since they went under.

If you have a good one, its golden. But beware if you find them on the net; make sure you trust the guy selling them to you, and that he's personally verified that they're ok!

Genesis:
Yeah, the max range is something like 3,000 feet. I never went that far with it, but 1500 feet was dead-nuts on, provided you didn't get behind something solid or a thermocline.

Accuracy in my experience was a couple of feet. 6" is more than a bit optimistic, but a couple of feet is pertty darn good.....

Its an interesting device, and if you get a "good" one it works fabulously. Unfortunately there are a bunch of bad ones out there, from what I understand, and there is no more support from the builders since they went under.

If you have a good one, its golden. But beware if you find them on the net; make sure you trust the guy selling them to you, and that he's personally verified that they're ok!

since you had one how often did it update range that sould be equal to the ping interval. i am guessing 10-20 seconds to conserve on the xmitters power consumption. the beamforming looks to be 15 degree beam apature. heck it could be 30 and still work. bottom maping would mneed a little finer bearing resolution than the 30 however. the accuracy of 3 feet would be a few inches if the water was the modle 4800 fps volosity 60 degree 25 ppt salinity. good luck finding that bathtub in the carib.

what is involved in calibrating one? wil pm my email

KWS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom