Issues with Suunto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and dislike that even if I put it in gauge mode to use as a back up for my perdix, the computer will lock itself.
Can you expand on this with more details?

The algorithm lock that could kick in mid-dive (not giving you any deco information to finish that dive) is why I sold my own Eon Core. If that would only happen after violating a decompression stop longer than 3 minutes - that would be acceptable at this point in my diving career, since I would not ever get to that point in the first place. Then the lock kicked in on my dive buddy's computer out of nowhere - that was it for me. I got something else.

I do like the graphics and interface of the EON Core though...

• 48h lock up ("bricking") for arbitrary reasons such as changing from gauge to dive mode
  • Incorrect MOD calculations
  • Hideously complex button presses
  • Non standard algorithms with proprietary software for planning
  • Difficult user interfaces
  • etc…

Aside from a cheap beginner's computer, they’re outclassed by other manufacturers

Can you expand on this with more details?
Sure. Before I bought a different backup computer, I brought the computer on a deco dive as a back up timing/depth device, and even though it was in gauge mode, the computer still locked itself after the dive and would not function as a normal dive computer on subsequent dives. (Ie does not give NDL information)

This was an issue for me as the next day I wanted to do a rec dive with my wife. She uses that computer when we dive together, but the computer was still locked and only functioned in gauge mode.

Sure. Before I bought a different backup computer, I brought the computer on a deco dive as a back up timing/depth device, and even though it was in gauge mode, the computer still locked itself after the dive and would not function as a normal dive computer on subsequent dives. (Ie does not give NDL information)
If using a computer as a backup to your primary, it should not be in gauge mode. In gauge mode, it is not tracking tissue loading, but it knows you've been underwater. It would be unsafe to use a computer that's been in gauge mode as it doesn't have tissue history, so NDLs would be higher than they really should be.
This was an issue for me as the next day I wanted to do a rec dive with my wife. She uses that computer when we dive together, but the computer was still locked and only functioned in gauge mode.
How long did it lock? If we are talking 48 hours, that's a bit much. If 24 hours, that's inline with other computers that have a lockout. 24 hours is to allow for tissues to clear, then it can start to calculate tissue from a fresh state.

Over 1500 logged hours on my D4i bought in 2016. Hasn't been a day off my wrist. Using it as main computer for teaching recreational, as a backup gauge for tec dives to 90meter+ / 300feet+ dives. I love it, never had any issues.

My Vyper bought in 2009 started diving with me much earlier, but has probably less dives, but is being abused much more since its usually in my crate full of sand and salt with the rest of my divegear, in case a buddy of student needs it. Massivly abused. Still up and running without any problems

Over 1500 logged hours on my D4i bought in 2016. Hasn't been a day off my wrist. Using it as main computer for teaching recreational, as a backup gauge for tec dives to 90meter+ / 300feet+ dives. I love it, never had any issues.

My Vyper bought in 2009 started diving with me much earlier, but has probably less dives, but is being abused much more since its usually in my crate full of sand and salt with the rest of my divegear, in case a buddy of student needs it. Massivly abused. Still up and running without any problems
Assume you use a Shearwater for your primary computer when doing tech dives -- probably CCR at that depth?

When you use it as a gauge (freediving mode) computer, do you have to "rest it" for 48h before it can be switched back into dive mode?

If using a computer as a backup to your primary, it should not be in gauge mode. In gauge mode, it is not tracking tissue loading, but it knows you've been underwater. It would be unsafe to use a computer that's been in gauge mode as it doesn't have tissue history, so NDLs would be higher than they really should be.

How long did it lock? If we are talking 48 hours, that's a bit much. If 24 hours, that's inline with other computers that have a lockout. 24 hours is to allow for tissues to clear, then it can start to calculate tissue from a fresh state.

That computer is not a technical dive computer, and isn’t able to act as an appropriate backup computer. The idea was to use it in gauge mode as a backup way to monitor depth and time and use tables if my shearwater had an issue. Since then, I have an appropriate backup computer that uses buhlman.

And the lockout is 48 hours.

How long did it lock? If we are talking 48 hours, that's a bit much. If 24 hours, that's inline with other computers that have a lockout. 24 hours is to allow for tissues to clear, then it can start to calculate tissue from a fresh stat

Okay, if you use a Suunto in gauge mode then it stays in gauge mode for a certain period of time, I can't remember if it's for 24 or 48 hours, you'll need to check the manual.

Technically it's not locking you out.

During the 48 hours, you cannot use dive mode.

if it gets wet within that 48 hours, the clock's reset for another 48 hours.

I know from experience which started my hatred of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom