Issues with DIR gear configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forget typical PADI terminology of what a backup/secondary/primary are. Start over. You have two regulators, a primary and a backup.

The primary regulator is on a long hose. It is routed down from the first stage, along the tank, under the cannister light on your right side, across your chest, over your left shoulder, BEHIND your neck, and around to your mouth. If you have a 5' hose, it is just routed under the right arm, rather than under a can light. This is the regulator that you breathe from, hence why it is called the primary.

The backup regulator is on a very short (22"-24") hose with bungee cord on the mouthpiece. It is worn around the neck like a necklace. It is for you and only you. Wearing it like this keeps it free of debris and streamlined. Plus, it is YOUR backup in an OOA and this mindset will help ensure that you check it pre-dive.

Air is always donated from the regulator in your mouth, i.e. the primary on the long hose. There are several explanations of S-drill techniques all over SB and the Internet, so I'll spare you the description here. After deploying the long hose, you switch to breathe from the backup regulator under your chin.

Hope this clears things up as to the purpose of each reg.

A picture is worth a thousand words...
http://soggy.thedecostophosting.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/post_dive_edit.jpg
Although, in that picture, the hose should've been routed down behind the wing on my right side, rather than across the wing. I also personally tuck it under my shears sleeve to deal with some of the extra length, since I'm very thin. Another option would be to tuck the extra hose into the waist strap.

Also check out this gallery: http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_photo.php?set_albumName=equipment&id=diverfront

underwater daphne:
uhm, actually the bungie thing is a language problem. i don't know the words used for this setup and mixed some things up.
the way i understand it:

your sec becomes your primary on the long hose. i thought the hose was winded around your neck.
your primary which you don't use is on a "rubber band" around your neck.

i've seen this config only once in real and remember the long hose winded at least once around this persons neck. very confused by now.

i just like the idea of having some extra space when sharing air and that's why i'm interested, but it seems i have no idea how to use it.

The long hose routes behind the head and into the mouth. It is not wound around the neck - it never forms a closed loop ( or ring) aroun the neck.

underwater daphne:
uhm, actually the bungie thing is a language problem. i don't know the words used for this setup and mixed some things up.
the way i understand it:

your sec becomes your primary on the long hose. i thought the hose was winded around your neck.
your primary which you don't use is on a "rubber band" around your neck.

i've seen this config only once in real and remember the long hose winded at least once around this persons neck. very confused by now.

i just like the idea of having some extra space when sharing air and that's why i'm interested, but it seems i have no idea how to use it.

Does anyone mind if I chime in here? good .

The long hose is very handy for divers traveling single file through restictions like small cave openings. deploying the long hose needs to be practiced before every dive to make sure it is not going to hang up on other gear.

The reason for the back up reg being around the neck is simple. First ,it is your breathing reg in a emergency, because you will be donating the long hose with your primary reg. second, a octo can come unstraped , float behind you and free flow. this will drain your gas and you won't know it's happening. If your back up is in front of you and free flows you at least know what's going on.

My advice to you is, go to a diving professional and ask how and why to route the long hose. I'm sure they will make sense of this issue.

How does this sound so far? GOOD :)

well i'm asking here, because the long hose isn't quite the fashion in switzerland yet and i only know one person who has such a set up.

thanks a lot for the infos. it's all great.

underwater daphne:
well i'm asking here, because the long hose isn't quite the fashion in switzerland yet and i only know one person who has such a set up.

thanks a lot for the infos. it's all great.

Daphne there are three TDI shops in Switzerland, you can find them by doing an internet search under TDI or technical diving International. I'm sure they can help find a hose with the correct size fittings.and help with questions on the correct routing. Thanks for filling out the diver profile it helps to know who I'm talking too.

ye, i forgot, techies use the long hose as well. will ask at my prefered dive center. :)

I am just now taking my ow class. I see the advantages to the "DIR Setup", but have one question regarding a slight change that has been frowned on. Instead of the backup reg bungeed around your neck, what is wrong with an Atomic SS1 or Scubapro AirII? To my way of thinking, you have your spare right where you always know it is (given it may be 6" further from you mouth) and its one less hose on your rig because your breathing from the LP hose that feeds your inflator. Is it a question of performance or reliability?

ive done some looking around and except for the fact that it is preferred to have the backup on a bungee around the neck, i cant find a reason why. i currently have an air2 on my bc and i can always find it andit reduces having an additional second stage and an extra hose. can someone please give a little explanation to the cons of having a second stage integrated in the power inflator? thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom