Issues with DIR gear configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned by Scubaroo, if something cuts your harness, you have a an open wound on your torso! The harness is SOOO close to your body that it couldnt get cut by accident, only EMT shears, as it would take a sharp knife a while to saw thru it.

Dr.Mattito:
I however, still dive with my trusty Plana Avantis from the Reagan administration, which include the original straps.

Unless I'm thinking of another strap the Mares buckles are very prone to snagging. Once you try jet-type fins with the "DIR advocated" kicks, you won't go back to Mares... I didn't. Most use springs on these, but the OEM jet fin straps are also okay, from what I understand.

I have never had a snag problem with my Mares fins, but from what I have seen, the buckle has changed since I purchased my fins in 1988.

Also, I did two dives last weekend, one with jet fins and one with my plana avantis. I have to say that I still like the avanti fins better.

Dr.Mattito:
I have never had a snag problem with my Mares fins, but from what I have seen, the buckle has changed since I purchased my fins in 1988.

Also, I did two dives last weekend, one with jet fins and one with my plana avantis. I have to say that I still like the avanti fins better.

There is a little more to the issue other then snagging with regards to the straps. If you ever get the opportunity to take in a fundamentals course, the limitations of your current set of fins will become evident. As I stated in my initial post, don't sweat the spring straps for now. Enjoy the diving.

I have to back up just about everyone else here. I love spring straps and I think a one piece harness is the ultimate in simplicity and ruggedness.

I personally dive Turtles (like Jets but bigger) but (spam) if you need a set of spring straps for Mares fins, I know where you can get them cheap. :) (/spam)

what about the hose around neck? i've heard of ppl almost strangling themselves and isn't it more likely you'll pull you mask off as well?
i know, it's not the gear, it's the person, but seriously, how often does that happen? is there a better place to bungie the hose?

underwater daphne:
what about the hose around neck? i've heard of ppl almost strangling themselves and isn't it more likely you'll pull you mask off as well?
i know, it's not the gear, it's the person, but seriously, how often does that happen? is there a better place to bungie the hose?

No.

The long hose is not AROUND your neck. It is routed across your chest, over the left shoulder, BEHIND your neck, and into your mouth from the right. There is no possible way you could be strangled by it unless someone intentionally tried to rip the reg out of your mouth from behind, above and to the left of you. But, this would be a problem with any routing system, wouldn't it, regardless of hose length or routing. Who are these people you've heard of that are strangling themselves?!

I'm not sure what you're asking about bungeeing....the backup regulator is bungeed around your neck with thin bungee cord or surgical tubing. I have no idea what scenario could cause that to strangle you.

As for your mask getting ripped off, I'm assuming you are referring to when deploying the long hose. First, you duck your head when deploying it, thus clearing the way. Second, hose floats, so it helps clear itself. I've never heard of anyone ripping off their own mask during an s-drill, though I'll conceded that it is conceivably possible without having practiced the skill.

underwater daphne:
I'm going to assume you mean the bungied backup regulator around the neck? The only time it might be a threat to pull of your mask is when you're putting it on or taking it off before or after the dive. It stays around your neck while diving. I put my mask on last and take it off first, so the bungied backup has never been a problem in regards to pulling my mask off.

I have forgotten to take it off a couple of times after a dive, but you notice that pretty much right away when you try and walk away from your rig after getting out of it.
03.gif

Jimmie

kalvyn:
I have forgotten to take it off a couple of times after a dive, but you notice that pretty much right away when you try and walk away from your rig after getting out of it.
03.gif

Oooh, or when you put it on and let go of the reg when the bungee is still a bit stretch and the regulator smacks you in the head. That's alwasy fun, too and about as dangerous as the configuration gets!

uhm, actually the bungie thing is a language problem. i don't know the words used for this setup and mixed some things up.
the way i understand it:

your sec becomes your primary on the long hose. i thought the hose was winded around your neck.
your primary which you don't use is on a "rubber band" around your neck.

i've seen this config only once in real and remember the long hose winded at least once around this persons neck. very confused by now.

i just like the idea of having some extra space when sharing air and that's why i'm interested, but it seems i have no idea how to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom