Issue with securing 7ft long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in Switzerland. Buying a piece of plastic pipe is going to cost me more than just buying the Halcyon retainer. :( (quick connect fittings for a pee valve run me around 10 USD each)

Also bear in mind the total length of the Apeks retainer is 6 inches, minus around 2.2 for the bits that hold onto the belt. When I first got it, I was actually surprised by how small it is, considering the photos online.

But yes, I could be the dummy here.
I have also used a zippered pocket on the belt webbing as a means to retain the hose. But I suspect the pocket is no longer than the Apeks stick.

How is your long hose routed? Are you diving a single tank or twinset? Maybe a picture would help us? I am at a loss for more suggestions. Hopefully, someone here can help identify the problem.

Okay, one more question, but if it's applicable I'm sure this occurred to you. Are you within an average height range? For a person short in stature, a 7-ft hose may be too long to stay in place under the Apeks stick. For some very tall people, they might actually be more comfortable with a hose longer than 7 feet. A 7-ft hose does seem to work fine for the vast majority of people, though.

In the described situation, the hose was routed from the bottom port of a DST. Now that I'm back home I have to change it back to cold-water config (basically twinset setup on an H-valve).

I'm 186cm so not terribly tall. I think I'll try it with cinching the belt a bit tighter and moving the hose around to the backplate. It might all be different with the drysuit compared to the rashie I wore the last two weeks.

I'll report back if I still have issues. Thanks everyone for the input.

I'm 186cm so not terribly tall. I think I'll try it with cinching the belt a bit tighter and moving the hose around to the backplate. It might all be different with the drysuit compared to the rashie I wore the last two weeks.
Yeah, I'm guessing a rash guard would provide much less friction then a wetsuit or a drysuit.

I'm 186cm so not terribly tall.
Ha ha. "Not terribly tall" if you're Swiss or Dutch or .... I'm shorter than that, and a 7-ft hose is comfortable for me.

Yes, maybe the drysuit will provide more surface area or friction than the rashguard.

I had similar issues when not diving with a canister light. I went to a 5' hose as I no longer dive in any overhead environments. The 5' hose gives me plenty to work with in an open water emergency and routes very nicely under my right arm without any excess.

I use a weighted bellow pocket.
I started using it because the lack of pocket in my wetsuit and now I cannot even think to get rid of it.
A friend of mine printed a perfectly functional stick in 3D. There are multiple model on thingiverse just in case - try searching "scuba long hose" or just design one by yourself in order to have a suitable length for it

Someone recently suggested tucking the excess into an elastic band/bungee around the tank. Anybody ever tried that?

Someone recently suggested tucking the excess into an elastic band/bungee around the tank. Anybody ever tried that?
I do that when I am sidemounted, but I would hate to have to stow it backmounted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom