Issue with Isotherm semi-dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought a new Isotherm and I'm having an issue with it. All the reviews I've read say this is one of the driest semi-dry suits on the market, however, the one I have is letting water in like crazy. When I get out of the water, the legs are ballooned out with a lot of water and there isn't a dry spot under the suit at all. So far, it's been hard for me to figure out where the water is coming in from, but I've folded in the smoothskin seals on the arms, legs, and neck which is usually what you're supposed to do, yes? The end result at this point is a suit that feels like a step backwards compared to my old 8.6.5 Flexa Any suggestions?

Sounds like it's badly fitting - much too loose for you. The mere fact that the legs are ballooned out with a lot of water sounds like it's loose on you. I have 2 7mm semi-drys, one Seac and one Cressi. The only water inside at the end of the dive is from my own sweat but even if I pour in water while wearing either one topside, the legs won't balloon.

No, it fits very well. The legs are ballooning because of the water that's getting in. Possible leaks could be from the neck, main zipper, or maybe even a seam. I'm going to dive with it again this weekend and try a couple things to test the neck and zipper.

I use an Xcel 9/7/6mm Polar chest zip. For mine the only place that water can enter is the zipper. The hood, wrist, ankles have seals. I tuck the ankle seals in the booties then the neoprene ankles I zip over my booties. If there was a leak, I would feel cold water entering such as the chest zipper or face seal.

I do not know what you mean by folded in? Are you folding the seals over or back on themselves?

May be best to stop by your dive shop to get advice. They should have explained everything.

Jak Crow:

I used the Mares Isotherm for about 1.5 years. It kept most of my torso dry for the duration of my dives, even when I went down to the depth limit of recreational diving. You need to do several things in order to maximize the suit's features.

1. Roll inward the neck seal, the inner wrist cuff and the inner ankle cuff.
*** By rolling the seal on itself, you're mating the smooth neoprene surface of the inner cuff to your skin, which effectively limits water movement into the suit. Only a small amount
is portion is necessary. Remember the outer cuff will apply inward pressure and will keep everything in place.

2. Sandwich the the gauntlet of your gloves between the inner cuff and the outer cuff.
3. Sandwich the upper section of your boot between the inner cuff and outer cuff.
*** In effect, you're creating a three layer barrier to minimize water intrusion. You should be wearing the suit in this manner: Inner cuff rolled on itself, glove gauntlet/boot and
finally the outer cuff.

4. Make sure not to pinch the Ti-Zip's protective flap within the zipper as you close it (happened to me and let's water in).

Remember, Mares designed the seals so that you didn't need that traditional tight wet-suit fitting. However, you shouldn't be swimming with the garment.

Back
Top Bottom