Israeli woman drowns during epileptic incident - Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm guessing this woman wasn't wearing a life-jacket. She'd still have some risk of drowning even if she did wear one, but might have cut that chance down significantly. (I've never snorkeled with a life-jacket, but it seems like you could make it work, with some adjustments.)
When I was diving at the Blue Hole in Dahab last year, which was during the Eid Al Adha holiday, there were hundreds of Egyptian snorkelers in life jackets being towed around to look at the Blue Hole.

Someone tried to crawl over me when we surfaced to exit the area, it was crazy.

She was free diving/snorkeling, not SCUBA

I wouldn't call Egypt a third-world country, developing maybe altho those terms are really outdated. Variances happen for different reasons. In the US today many communities have shortages of qualified lifeguards as the associated agencies did not get to recruit and train as usual. It might be that some shortcuts were taken in this resort, perhaps.
Sinai peninsula is very much like a third world country.

They exist and are commonly called gag-straps. The are installed on some pure Oxygen rebreathers used by combat swimmers.

You know, but for others, that they were not uncommon on early OC SCUBA regs. I have one on Snark II Double Hose and on a couple of old second stages for single hose regs. They didn't catch on, so are not seen anymore on OC.

You know, but for others, that they were not uncommon on early OC SCUBA regs. I have one on Snark II Double Hose and on a couple of old second stages for single hose regs.

I was never sure if that strap on the Snark was intended as a gag strap or just a necklace strap. From my limited use experience, the difference is gag straps are easy to adjust tightness by pulling on the ends and necklace stapes are longer and not quickly adjusted.

For other readers: Single hose regulators with what I am calling necklace straps were the norm in the 50s through 70s. Some catalogs called them safety straps. Most divers in my little sphere of visibility removed them.

Sinai peninsula is very much like a third world country.
I would expect to find electricity and flush toilets in Sharm el-Sheikh.

I was never sure if that strap on the Snark was intended as a gag strap or just a necklace strap.

Pretty much depended on how it was tightened. I just wrapped mine out of the way.

Snark_III1.jpg

RIP to this person regardless the circumstances.

Fun trivia for the economic definition discussion is definition of third world wasn't based on economics but on political alignment. The definition was created during the cold war to refer to aligned with NATO or the Warsaw pact. No surprise today's world not only redefined its meaning but defined it contrary to its original meaning but given numerous developed nations were on the third world list originally its current definition is ironic and kinda funny. Not being smarty pants, just mentioning a funny fact behind a frequently used term.

Not being smarty pants, just mentioning a funny fact behind a frequently used term.
I mentioned that it was an outdated term earlier here. It certainly doesn't apply to Sharm el-Sheikh.

I honestly didn't believe the 1 in 103 stat for passing away in a card accident. However, 38,000 car accident deaths in 2020, and 2.4 million deaths total usa deaths. So I guess the math works but I just can't wrap my head around that number still.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom