Isolator Valve Loosy-Goosy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I am not into adding a known degenerative condition to a system in order to alleviate a potential risk that is exceedingly rare and preventable by other means that do not degrade the system.

I suppose you are opposed to keeping the spare can of gas and the attendant fire extinguisher in your car too. :D

Personally, I am not into adding a known degenerative condition to a system in order to alleviate a potential risk that is exceedingly rare and preventable by other means that do not degrade the system.

I guess we should all carry pony bottles then.

Again the question is why would anyone willingly accept dynamic wear and tear on a static o-ring that poses a genuine threat of gas loss in order to reduce the potential to break an isolator valve that is extremely unlikely to ever occur in the first place and is unlikely to cause gas loss in and of itself.
You started from the wrong asumption. It's not that we rotate valve all the times. It's enough to check if it can be rotated to certain degree when tanks are asembled and that's it. So 99.99% of the time it's static. Replaced o-rings that I mentioned before were prone to wear due to slightly bended crossbar. Otherwise, I wouldn't expect that much wear.

Adjustable Center to Center distance manifolds with right hand and left hand threads are in effect a turnbuckle, turning the Iso will eventually change the Center to center distance, but only after you account for lash in the threads.

I like to verify that I have the manifold adjusted correctly after assembling doubles by checking that I can still turn the Iso with modest effort. If I cannot move it all by hand, somethings wrong, and if I can turn it 1/4 to may be 1/2 turn with ~500-1000 psi, all is good. Pump em full and things will get stiffer. Tanks change diameter with pressure, which impacts C to C distances and the orings will try to squeeze out of any clearances available.

I leave the jam nuts loose, and have never had an Iso change orientation unexpectedly.

Tobin

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom