Isobaric Counter Diffusion (ICD)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looney toons.

Delete either of those two bottles and you’re REALLY in a pickle. Too much space between the 36% bottle and oxygen.

Agreed. Also too much space between the bottom and the 36% for my comfort.

Personally, one of the big learning curves of Hypoxic was managing 3 and 4 deco bottles. I thought the instructor was doing them a disservice by avoiding it..

To be clear, the above part was what I ‘liked’ in your post, not the stilted gas plan of the dive instructor you observed.

Agreed. Also too much space between the bottom and the 36% for my comfort.
Depends on the backgas tanks. I’d do it, and I’ve done it, but it doesn’t leave much wiggle room.

When we did the 250+ foot dives at the blue hole in 2019, we used a separate travel gas to avoid IBCD. If I recall correctly, it was x20/20 and the bottom gas was x16/40.

On that trip, for those deeper dives, I did the gas planning. Before the dive, the shop has to approve your plan. One of the first questions before we submitted our deeper plans was if we believed in IBCD.

on the August 2021 trip, since the dives were guided, the shop developed the plans and we checked them separately. Each diver has to sign off of the dive plan regardless of who develops. One of the divers in the group was only normoxic certified, so we did the coral haircut version of the arch. Since that version of the dive is normally a normoxic I was somewhat surprised over the use of the x32 as a travel gas. Since the use of travel gasses is frequently reserved for hypoxic trimix certifications.

We use multideco and it will provide an alert for any potential IBCD situations with the normally settings. If you try to do a 300 foot dive without a helium based travel gas, there is a distinct possibility that the warning will be generated.

One thing that MultiDeco calculates, but does not appear to provide warnings on is gas density. Maybe there should be a column on that instead of the details screen.

One thing that MultiDeco calculates, but does not appear to provide warnings on is gas density. Maybe there should be a column on that instead of the details screen.
Couldn't agree more. Shearwater added it with separate baselines for oc/cc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom