Islands that have great diving - and no cruise ships?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A better question might be where to avoid than where to go. Really, many islands that get cruise ships are big enough that unless you go downtown or whereever the cruiseship folks go when they're there, you won't notice. Of course you wouldn't want to dive with an operator that caters a lot to cruiseship traffic, especially if they don't have separate boats and the capacity to handle it. But some of the popular cruiseship islands aren't the ones noted for their diving anyway. And some of the smaller islands with good diving, if they get cruiseships they're few, and often the smaller ones.

Belize does have many cruiseships, but you will only notice if you're in Belize City, where you don't want to stay on your vacation anyway - there's a whole country aside from Belize City.

Curacao gets a fair number, but again you probably won't notice unless you go downtown when they're there, and sometimes not even then. It's a big island with no cruiseship impact at all out where the diving is best, not even much sign of civilization on much of it.

St. Vincent, Bequia - sleepy places. They do get the Windjammers, maybe once a week, which are not so big and nice to look at anyway. St Vincent did build a cruiseship dock years ago which promptly got whacked by a hurricane, not sure what's up with that now. Even less going on further south in the Grenadines.

Even Grand Cayman, it does have many cruise ships but if you don't go downtown or the few places the cruise ship people will go at those times, then you won't know the difference. Better yet, if you stay on the East End or northwest area you won't know cruiseships exist, it's like being on another island.

Bonaire does have cruise ships but not more than one at a time, and only a few days per week. You really won't even know there is a cruise ship in town unless you see it. (nothing like Cozumel is now with hundreds and hundreds of pod people)

We don't have "cruise ships", only one at max 2 a week during their high season. They do as Robin says, come in, do a little shopping, Island Tour, Snorkeling, etc and then they are gone.

With the vast amount of shore diving on the island (over 80 dive sites), if you don't go into town on a Tues or Wed from about 10 am - 4pm then you are fine. To be honest, I've never seen it so crowded that I felt overwhelmed, even if I did need to go into town on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Really, little to no impact to a diver.

Enjoy!

Liz

Provo in Turks and Caicos...just got back - really nice!

ianr33:
Bonaire. Little Cayman.Cayman Brac. Saba
I've been on Bonaire when cruise ships have come in, it's not a pretty sight!

Saba used to have the Windjammer stop by too, long ago. Don't know if they still do; I suspect they don't or if they do at all it's for a very limited part of the season. Anyhow, can't complain too much since the WJ's are small by 'cruise ship' standards (<300 instead of >2000 passengers) and that was how I got there my first time back in 91' if I recall correctly, on the Polynesia.

Made it back for three days finally in 2005, but took the plane from St. Maarten. And the diving in Saba is superb, too. Can't say how it compares to the Cayman's as I haven't had the pleasure there...yet.

Misty89:
Provo in Turks and Caicos...just got back - really nice!

Very true. Providenciales has great beaches, lush reefs, vertical walls, sharks, and few crowds.

Saba. Laughing just thinking about a cruise ship trying to get to harbor. No beaches, not much to do but dive, less than 5 square miles & the whole island is a big vertical rock. Not exactly what the cruise trade has in mind! (no offense to cruise ships intended) 23 day countdown till I'm down there!

Back
Top Bottom