Islands around Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnylaw

Reaction score
Hi there,

Going to Australia around the end of Nov. Have about 2-3 days available for diving ...
not enough for the Coral Sea liveabroad. Have been thinking about some islands
around Cairns, like Lizard Island, Heron Island, Green Island... We will be flying from
Brisbane, so we are pretty flexible how south we can go. Any suggestions? The main
thing that we want to see are big fish and animals like sharks. Not so keen on reef nor
turtles. Any suggestions on where to go? How about Yongala Wreck? Can we do it
in 2-3days? Is Townville where we should be based?

Thanks!!

Well at Green Island you may be lucky enough to see a few clownies, and a whole heap of a poor excuse for coral. Certainly no big or even Medium sized fishies there. The accom is very expensive
Green Island Resort
Room Type
Valid: 1st April 2004 to 31st March 2005
1pax 2 3 people per room
Island Suite 3 $475 $475 $565 - -
Reef Suite 2 $575 $575 - - -
Valid: 1st April 2005 to 31st March 2006
Island Suite 3 $489 $489 $582 - -
Reef Suite 2 $589 $589 - - -

www.greenislandresort.com.au/
www.queenslandislands.com/ green_island/island_resort.html

Heron isn't near Cairns - it is accessablie from Gladstone and it is around 10 hours south (drive) of Cairns. In fact it is much closer to Brisbane than Cairns. http://www.heronisland.com/location.htm

Lizard Island is very beautiful very expensive and has some very pretty reefs near it. Some top dive sites are not too far from Lizard.
http://www.lizardisland.com.au/pricing.asp - very expensive but includes everything.

Just a Suggestions - this is the GREAT BARRIER REEF - note REEF. SO unfortunately that is what most come to see sure they all do do a shark dive etc but mostly it is reef dives. I hope that where ever you go you do enjoy our beautiful country.

ASB

Thanks ASB for all the info!!

Lizard Island is beautiful! But I am not sure if we can afford it. Do we have to fly
there from Cairns?

For Heron Island, maybe we can drive there from Brisbane, or fly to Gladstone instead
of Cairns? Do you recommend diving there? What can I expect to see? By no means I
don't like reef. Just wonder if there is something different.

How about Yongala Wreck?

j

I think if you search enough you might find a day trip to Lizard Island. If you want to see some of the bigger fish such as the Potato Cod or maybe white tips, then this would be a good area to go. I did find a place on-line that had a day trip to Lizard, it included diving but it was not last June but the previous that we were there. We took a liveaboard out of Port Douglas. If you have 2 or 3 days you can still do a liveaboard. Check with Pro-dive or Quicksilver, they have 2 and 3 day liveaboards. You would at least get some satisfaction of going the distance and being on the GBR - Ribbons. As a diver, who has been around awhile, you always get some wiseguy who asks; so you dive? Ever been to the GBR? Now I can say "yes". If you find yourself confronted with a number of choices always take the most northernly reefs, The best is Lizard and beyond, the best offer there is to the Coral Sea.

Just talking to the Manager at Down Under Dive and i explained your situation and I was directed to their website and this may be ideal for you.

http://www.downunderdive.com.au/liveaboard.htm

35 Metre (140ft) sailing tall ship
· Daily departures by our high speed transfer vessel Supercat - more dive and snorkel time
· Daily transfers allows us to cater for any itinerary or timetable
· Live-aboard stays from one night - arrive and depart any day you wish
· Permanently based on the outer edge of the Great Barrier Reef two hours from Cairns
· Atlantic Clipper sails daily to a new reef destination
· Sailing times between the new reef sites is about one hour. We change reefs once or twice a day.
· This allows for maximum amount of dive and snorkel time.
· Fourteen permanent crew on board Atlantic Clipper - so our quality of service exceeds expectations
· Dive times- start from 6.30am through to a night dive
· Professional, friendly and attentive dive staff for all levels of certified divers and snorkellers
· Fully air-conditioned through out, large dining/lounge area and fully stocked bar
· 2, 3 and 4 berth accommodation in air-conditioned serviced cabins
· Chef prepared meals in our commercial galley
· The Atlantic Clipper is orientated towards the young and adventurous travellers

They are a really nice bunch of people. Personally i prefer Holmes reef and the "locals" would agree it is perhaps the best on offer here. It blew my mind after living in the Solomons and Indonesia. Coral Sea is nice but it is visited by the masses daily with the liveaboards.

ASB

Sorry yes you do need to fly to Lizard which is extra cost to you. Get in touch with Down Under the package is put together to suit your schedule, and the boat looks nice. I will have a chat to a few other operators and post soon with more options.

ASB

Wow! Thanks a lot for the great info! I will check with Down Under Dive.
Yes, we travel a long way to be in GBR and really want to get some good dives.
We are visiting Sydney, Ayers Rock and Cairns in 10 days, so you can imagine how
tight our schedule is. Plus most liveabroad have fixed schedule, it makes everything
even harder. Wanted to do the Quicksilver 2 day liveabroad to Cod Hole but they
don't have trips on the days that we will be there.

j

Is Outer Reef something I want to check out? Seems like all the short trips are to
there.

I spent 6 months touring around Oz last year and clocked in @50 dives during that time so I hope the following is helpful for you. #1 on your itinerary should be the Yongala!!! It is accessed from Townsville and is absolutely teeming with life so thick you'll feel like you are parting the red sea when you swim through it all. You can do this in a 2-3 tank day trip although you should aim to do a night dive there also if possible. I know the Mike Ball liveabaord operation does a night dive but since you do not have time for that trip shop around to see if there might be another outfit that will do an overnight trip out. I went with Tropical Diving at 14 Palmer St. in South Townsville. phone# 07 4771 6150, email: tropicaldive@hotmail.com
Now the GBR....honestly the best bit here is the Coral Sea, Cod Hole, and the Mike Ball Shark feeding (he has his own cages set up) etc. I never did make it to Heron island but I did a lot of research and that seemed a good spot. I guess I am a little biased on the GBR as I feel there is much better coral life on Australia's West coast. Cairns is THE launching pad for all of the trips out but it is like a scuba factory. Still, a fun trip you can do in a short span of time would be a 3 day liveaboard launching from the lovely Whitsundays. You'll meet people, get to the outter reef, and visit some stunning islands like Whitehaven. You really have to do a liveaboard to get to the better spots and these are mostly situated on the outter reef.
Ok I hope this helps. It would be interesting to hear how it all goes down. Take care and safe travels!!!

jnylaw:
Hi there,

Going to Australia around the end of Nov. Have about 2-3 days available for diving ...
not enough for the Coral Sea liveabroad. Have been thinking about some islands
around Cairns, like Lizard Island, Heron Island, Green Island... We will be flying from
Brisbane, so we are pretty flexible how south we can go. Any suggestions? The main
thing that we want to see are big fish and animals like sharks. Not so keen on reef nor
turtles. Any suggestions on where to go? How about Yongala Wreck? Can we do it
in 2-3days? Is Townville where we should be based?

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom